Skinless chcken quarters

jonboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I need a new way to prepare chicken leg quarters on the egg/grill.
Trying to lose the fat and skin.
We are making some mandatory changes in diet for health reasons.
I am thinking of skinless leg quarters grilled on the egg.
I have several brining now to grill this afternoon.
Do you have any suggestions to prepare something that is healthy and tastes great?
Would rolling in a panko mix work well?
Any help would be appreciated,
jon

I need a new way to prepare chicken leg quarters on the egg/grill.
Trying to lose the fat and skin.
We are making some mandatory changes in diet for health reasons.
I am thinking of skinless leg quarters grilled on the egg.
I have several brining now to grill this afternoon.
Do you have any suggestions to prepare something that is healthy and tastes great?
Would rolling in a panko mix work well?
Any help would be appreciated,
jon

" Trying to lose the fat and skin",

"I have several brining now to grill this afternoon" ???? Thought you were making changes?? Doesn't this add too much salt???? Just wondering because I have to watch my salt, so I don't brine, thought about it though.

Paul B

I do skinless chicken leg quarters all the time. I think they take a marinade even better. One of my favorite ways to do them is to marinade in low fat or fat free yogurt. The yogurt will tenderize the chicken and help move your flavoring deep into the meat. Try Yogurt, lemon juice, salt/pepper, fresh crushed garlic, cayenne and any of your favorite flavors. Marinate for a few hours, grill direct over charcoal for 10 minutes then finish indirect.

Healthy Living/Diet is a new concept too me. :)
We won't get there over night.
I have removed the skins and excess fat from the chicken,
and threw them in a low salt/rub brine to preserve moisture and add flavor.
I will grill them at 250-275 for 10mins /then indirect as mentioned above.
jon

I do skinless chicken leg quarters all the time. I think they take a marinade even better. One of my favorite ways to do them is to marinade in low fat or fat free yogurt. The yogurt will tenderize the chicken and help move your flavoring deep into the meat. Try Yogurt, lemon juice, salt/pepper, fresh crushed garlic, cayenne and any of your favorite flavors. Marinate for a few hours, grill direct over charcoal for 10 minutes then finish indirect.

That sounds very interesting,, Do you use the Plain unflavored Yogurt for this ???:?:

I allways remove the skin and the result is never too dry. Besides from being healthier, it reduces the mess of rendering chicken fat inside your smoker.

I've done them brined and unbrined. Both turned out fine. Just don't overcook them, temp is key.

Bushwacker,
Yes I use plain yogurt, no flavor ever. I don’t understand all the chemistry behind it, but there are enzymes in the yogurt that tenderize and keep the chicken moist. This is our favorite way in our house to prepare chicken, after marinating and proper cooking it pulls very easily. We usually serve it on pita with a light sauce, tomato, onion, lettuce, whatever you have on hand.

Back