The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   lump coal vs kingsford (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157480)

tx_hellraiser 03-30-2013 05:48 PM

lump coal vs kingsford

which one is better to Q with lump vs kingfords britquetts

BBQ Bandit 03-30-2013 05:51 PM

That question can be better answered based what type of pit/smoker you are planning to use. :thumb:

tx_hellraiser 03-30-2013 05:55 PM

offset smoker to be exact new braunsful hondo

flyingbassman5 03-30-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_hellraiser (Post 2429326)
which one is better to Q with lump vs kingfords britquetts

Prepare yourself for a million different answers.....

Depends on what you are using it for and how you are cooking. Some guys swear that KBB is the devil in a bag and won't touch the stuff with a 20ft pole. Some don't care. Some like me, only use it for grilling and don't like to use it for doing long smokes.

Lump is widely accepted as a good "natural" source of fuel. Some don't like it because it can be unpredictable temperature wise and the quality of some bags of lump are sub par at best. That's a reason most guys will use uniform, quality briquettes over lump.

Me, I use Stubb's briquettes for the long smokes and use either KBB, Royal Oak lump, or Steakhouse briquettes depending which one I can catch on sale at wally world or Lowes for grilling.

All depends on what you like, there is no real clear, apples/oranges answer to which is better than the other..

PalmettoSmoke 03-30-2013 05:58 PM

I use B&B Lump in my trailer. Burns hot and fairly long. Kingsford doesn't provide the heat needed to get my pit up to temps quickly enough.

SauceHitter 03-30-2013 06:38 PM

Kingsford is a useful tool. In my offset I use splits, but add some Kingsford to assure I always have a good coal bed.

If using as a main fuel I would use lump. I think it has better smell. I wouldn't hesitate to add some Kingsford as a moderator.

Garrett 03-30-2013 06:41 PM

BBQ = No rules. Try, try,try, them all until you find what works best for you and your setup.
Me personally, it depends on what cooker I am using to what fuel I use. I use either Walmart brand briquettes or Stubbs in my UDS and Royal Oak lump in my Stumps Clone. What ever I can get on sale for grilling. There is no one type to use, just what's best for you. Hope that helps!!

tx_hellraiser 03-30-2013 06:47 PM

i am using my kingsford as a bed of coals and using my oak as the source

jaymo 03-30-2013 07:23 PM

I prefer Stubbs for my WSM, but will use other briquettes when necessary. For grilling I've settled into mostly Royal Oak lump, although I'll toss in some Kingsford, RO, or other brand briquettes sometimes as well if I want to keep the grill going longer without re-feeding it.

Freddy j 03-30-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 2429391)
BBQ = No rules. Try, try,try, them all until you find what works best for you and your setup.
Me personally, it depends on what cooker I am using to what fuel I use. I use either Walmart brand briquettes or Stubbs in my UDS and Royal Oak lump in my Stumps Clone. What ever I can get on sale for grilling. There is no one type to use, just what's best for you. Hope that helps!!

I Agree here. Been experimenting more and more with lump and really enjoy it. I am very limited by what is sold here also.

Neonnblack 03-30-2013 08:43 PM

Although not KF, i mix lump and briqs.

Hoss 03-30-2013 10:06 PM

Personal preferance.

Budman1 03-30-2013 10:27 PM

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

willieboy 03-30-2013 10:34 PM

For the grill or the smoker, lump gives a better taste, longer and hotter burn. I use it build the coal bed in my stick burner and then cook with splits.

Now, for dutch ovens (DO), NOTHING beats the consistency of Kingsford K charcoal. It some of the most consistent stuff in the world. We have tried every brand, from generic to every name, and we always go back to Kingsford K. All briquette charcoal lacks longevity, but for most DO cooking, you only need 2 hours at most (The exception is beans, which obviously need nearly all day). Two rounds of chimney lit Kingsford will get you through a two hour cook on the DO. Everything else, who knows what time you will get, as it almost seems to vary briquette by briquette...

flyingbassman5 03-30-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willieboy (Post 2429651)
For the grill or the smoker, lump gives a better taste, longer and hotter burn.

Although hotter burn I agree with, length of burn is debatable. I think the short burn of lump is what pushes a lot of folks to briquettes. I used RO lump on my old offset and to maintain a decent fire for a 250* cooking temp, I'd go through two bags of lump in a single 6 hour cook. I never fed it splits but did feed it chunks. The couple times I used briquettes instead, I'd go through a bag for the same temp and cook time. Just my experience though..