Smoking Different Meats, Different Racks

R

rcbaughn

Well, to conserve time and fuel and get a couple different things on the table Im'a smoke a 7 lb. bone-in Boston Butt and a rack of St. Louis spare ribs on my mini WSM and was wondering what rack I need to put what on? I assume that the lower rack that is sitting on the terra cotta heat diffuser will run hotter than the top rack that is probably hanging about 1/3 of the way down into the pot.

Would it be better to cook the ribs down low or the Boston Butt? I know that the ribs will be done a LOT quicker than the butt, so just want to get it right that way I don't end up with one of them being overcooked or cooked to fast and it not break down the collagen and them never get tender. I kinda thought the Boston Butt up top so it would drip fat on the ribs, but maybe it should be the other way around. Anyways, gonna fire it up in about two hours so let me know if ya see this before 6:00 central time!

-Cory

I would do the butt on the bottom rack and the ribs on the top rack. The butt you won't have to fuss with until the ribs are just about done. Once the ribs are done you can just take the grate out and do what you need to do to it.

The fat dripping over whatever piece of meat really won't matter. Just go with what cooks the quickest to the easiest thing to get too and pull out, so you dont have to keep the smoker open for longer than you absolutely have too.

i would do the butt on the bottom rack and the ribs on the top rack. The butt you won't have to fuss with until the ribs are just about done. Once the ribs are done you can just take the grate out and do what you need to do to it.

The fat dripping over whatever piece of meat really won't matter. Just go with what cooks the quickest to the easiest thing to get too and pull out, so you dont have to keep the smoker open for longer than you absolutely have too.
^^^+1

I would do the butt on the bottom rack and the ribs on the top rack. The butt you won't have to fuss with until the ribs are just about done. Once the ribs are done you can just take the grate out and do what you need to do to it.

agree completely

do whats easiest, it will work out fine

Back