Need help quick getting UDS up to temp

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to try out the Orange Siracha wing recipe today. I read the post about the guy smoking it at 350 for an hour indirect. So I put a almost full chimney of kingsford onto my basket of lump. I then put my bottom grate on that was covered about 80% in foil. I then put my chicken on the top grate then put the thermometer above the hole on the top grate on the opposite side.

Problem is even with all 4 inlets that are 3/4 inch I cannot get it to get up to 300 let alone 350

I started up another chimney of kingsford and maybe I will just try to grill them indirect on the kettle.

I have no way to separate the coals do you think I could just put some wads of foil in the bottom so they don't roll around?

even though it said do it indirect?

Yes, that is correct. If you were using a kettle, for instance, you would go indirect.

And don't worry about the glaze burning, you apply that near the end of the cook after the wings have cooked and developed char.

Well I ditched the foil and now it went to over 400 degrees....432. I just shut down all the intakes to get it down to a reasonable level

pal251 where in kansas you located? im in solomon

Near Manhattan. I drive by you a couple times a month on I70

Well I just glazed the wings we shall see how it does. They cooked awfully quick.. They were brown and thermapen said 190 for the temp

The more you take the lid off a Uds the higher the temps will run. Foiling a rack defeats the greatest thing about a uds, that cooked over live coals BBQ flavor.
On a side note, how was the orange shiracha glaze?

The more you take the lid off a Uds the higher the temps will run. Foiling a rack defeats the greatest thing about a uds, that cooked over live coals BBQ flavor.
On a side note, how was the orange shiracha glaze?
turned out well

Trying drumsticks on kettle with no thermometer cause its gonna storm soon.

Well the storm came about 45 or so minutes into it. I tried glazing the drumsticks early because they looked done but it started raining so I pulled them off for fear of them charring too bad before I could get them off.

I am gonna throw them in the oven because they only averaged around 160 for the temp

I use a bbq guru, it can reach 350 in less than 10 minutes if I really want it too. Blowers really help to stoke a fire.

Back