Kingsford :(

Bigbux58

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Used kingsford for the first time this weekend... I had been using royal oak on my newly built uds. Ask the soon to be wifey to pick up some charcoal, and I suggested kingsford blue since I've only used lump.
In testing it, i had all the vents open and it barely got above 300. lump well over 450. The only thing I will say was better is it held temp better, but it smoked a lot more (white). Didn't smell that good, tons of ash.
I better find a way to make it work... I have 40lbs of this dirt.
Oh well... It's better than gas I guess.

I use Kingsford in my UDS and kettle, other than the initial heat up, no problems. It will never get as hot as lump, but, 400F should be possible in a grill. White smoke is incomplete combustion, let the charcoal heat up.

The biggest problem is ash build up, that stuff will clog vents in no time.

I only use lump in my UDS. It seems to burn hotter than KBB. Conversely, I only use KBB in my Backwoods - lump burns too hot and fast.

Kingsford will throw white smoke at first, but then settle down. I wait until the white smoke is done and the temp is right to put my food on.

The Old Blue is getting ragged on pretty good. So I am going to come to the defense of the Kingsford. Buy the Competition grade Kingsford.
It really is good stuff. Kind of like them childhood lessons, if you can't say something nice etc etc etc.

Beer Please :-D

My UDS basket always contains a mix of KB and lump. But I always start the minion using KB.

The problem with KBB and the minion method is that new coals are constantly being lit. Therefore, a fair amount of that white smoke and start up smell lingers throughout the cook. That has been my experience, anyway. I used KBB to season my UDS, and that is that last time it will grace my fire basket.

The problem with KBB and the minion method is that new coals are constantly being lit. Therefore, a fair amount of that white smoke and start up smell lingers throughout the cook.

In the basket new coals are constantly being preheated from above before igniting, therefore they shouldn't produce white smoke.

Seriously, why does everyone freak the fark out when there is a hint of white smoke??? As long as you aren't puffing away like a freakin' Powerstroke with a bad turbo you will be just fine. Thin Blue is desirable BUT a bit of white smoke isn't going to completely ruin your meat. Keep it all thin smoke, regardless of color, and you'll be just fine.

As for Kingsford, I use it for grilling burgers and dogs only. And usually only buy it when the 40lb double pack is on sale.

Kingsford blue is extremely consistent fuel. I use it almost all the time. I had two bad bags of Royal Oak a few springs ago. The must have been stored on a warehouse floor because they did not seem to come up to full temp. I have since used more at friends places and it was very good. Long story short, the blue has never let me down for over twenty years. It is not showy but I know it well. It reminds me of Jim Beam bourbon and Grain Belt beer. They might not be trendy but they are a great product that always gets the job done.

Kingsford blue is extremely consistent fuel. I use it almost all the time. I had two bad bags of Royal Oak a few springs ago. The must have been stored on a warehouse floor because they did not seem to come up to full temp. I have since used more at friends places and it was very good. Long story short, the blue has never let me down for over twenty years. It is not showy but I know it well. It reminds me of Jim Beam bourbon and Grain Belt beer. They might not be trendy but they are a great product that always gets the job done.

X2..... I've also been using Kingsford for years with great results, but been trying RO briq's lately a bit & think it's pretty good also. I also tried a few bags of Stubbs & didn't car for it. The KBB does tend to ash up & clog vents/air flow on longer cooks though from my experience. The KBB is consistent & buying it when it is on sale saves a lot of $ in a year of cooking too.

X2..... I've also been using Kingsford for years with great results, but been trying RO briq's lately a bit & think it's pretty good also. I also tried a few bags of Stubbs & didn't car for it. The KBB does tend to ash up & clog vents/air flow on longer cooks though from my experience. The KBB is consistent & buying it when it is on sale saves a lot of $ in a year of cooking too.

what did you not like about Stubbs?

I think its excellent and doesnt have that off smell that KBB has lighting up which I dont want on my food when doing a minion burn on my vertical

Kingsford gives consistent results for me in helping get an initial coal bed started cause it takes a pretty sizeable coal bed to keep my cooker temp up properly because of the design, which was not an accident and was intentional because I do not have a cold end or hot end in my cooker. It is about 50 degrees hotter right in the center back about 8"x18" where the heat/smoke comes in but the temp on each side of that will be within a 10 degree variance. What I do is start my fire with wood splits and fire up a chiminey full KBB and add to it and let that burn down until I have a sizeable and consistent/efficient coal bed and then throughout the cook, as needed, I add more wood. My beast takes a lot of "fuel" food to keep her running and I learned real quick that I couldn't afford to keep her fed anything other than wood. I would literally go broke trying to keep enough KBB or lump in there to cook with.

I bought a two pack of the KB last Labor Day sale and still haven't opened the second bag yet. I seem to keep getting more bags of Stubbs and Kingsford Comp...

Back