The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   BBQ Cart type set-up for Farmers Market (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146844)

fireman_pete 10-28-2012 01:04 AM

BBQ Cart type set-up for Farmers Market

Hi Guys,

We have been invited to participate at a couple of local farmers markets. The issues is that our current BBQ trailer is too big. SO, I am thinking of designing and building a smaller cart type set-up to use at the markets.

Think of a hot dog cart/trailer but with a small smoker. I am looking at using a Traeger for the smoker, and then add a small sink, maybe 1-2 steam tables, storage, etc.

Has anyone made anything like this?

If so, I would love to see some pics.

It would need to be fairly self contained, and portable/moveable by hand.

Thanks

Pete

ThomEmery 10-28-2012 08:26 AM

Kyle built a cart for our FEC 100
It is steered by a Harbor Freight trailer dolly
Back wheels are 12 inch also
He built racks for full pans near the exhaust exit
Warn enough to hold meat
I will post a pic if you want

fireman_pete 10-28-2012 10:26 AM

Thanks Thom, yes I would love to see some pics.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery (Post 2257536)
Kyle built a cart for our FEC 100
It is steered by a Harbor Freight trailer dolly
Back wheels are 12 inch also
He built racks for full pans near the exhaust exit
Warn enough to hold meat
I will post a pic if you want

sunrise 10-28-2012 10:32 AM

farmers market set up

I am now in my 7th week doing a small market here in Ventura, let me say, its not all that easy to get all the EHD things in place. First, with the " small sink", you (at least here in Ventura cty) need a 3 compartment sink, a seperate hand wash sink, at least 30 gal of potable water, and a waste tank 1 1/2 times that ( 45 gal). Food has to be kept at min of 135, and a cambro is not allowed to keep things warm, its only for transportation, you need a full screen house around the e-z up, all coolers have to be 6 in off the ground, all meat has to be seperate, chicken, beef, pork, none together. There is a lot more, hope I didnt discourage you, it can be done, but what a royal pain. I have pics of our set up if you'd like, let me know.

fireman_pete 10-28-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks. I have done our farmers markets here in Riverside County off and on for a few years, so well aware of the HD requirements. Luckily they are easier than ventura. For handwash, we can use a drink cooler with warm water, and they are happy. For 3 compartments, we use plastic bus tubs. We cannot hold hot food in cambros, but we use steam tables/chaffing pans. We also have to use the screened in room, and all food must be prepped and cooked on-site.

Would love to see pics of your set-up.

Thanks

Pete

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunrise (Post 2257633)
I am now in my 7th week doing a small market here in Ventura, let me say, its not all that easy to get all the EHD things in place. First, with the " small sink", you (at least here in Ventura cty) need a 3 compartment sink, a seperate hand wash sink, at least 30 gal of potable water, and a waste tank 1 1/2 times that ( 45 gal). Food has to be kept at min of 135, and a cambro is not allowed to keep things warm, its only for transportation, you need a full screen house around the e-z up, all coolers have to be 6 in off the ground, all meat has to be seperate, chicken, beef, pork, none together. There is a lot more, hope I didnt discourage you, it can be done, but what a royal pain. I have pics of our set up if you'd like, let me know.

Just BS 10-28-2012 05:33 PM

Have you checked this guy out? I stopped by his shop in Riverside a couple of weeks ago and he was building a bigger version of what you were looking for. He's not far from you and may have some ideas you can use.

Disclainmer: I have zero knowledge of this guy, his quality of work or his business dealings. I get nothing out of this ~ just thought I'd pass some info along to possibly help.

http://www.fatboyshardcorebbqs.com/

fireman_pete 10-28-2012 06:13 PM

Thanks for the info. Just an FYI, I know a few folks who have bought pits from this guy and they were LESS than happy. I have not seem them first hand, but just letting you know what I heard.

Thanks

Pete

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just BS (Post 2257918)
Have you checked this guy out? I stopped by his shop in Riverside a couple of weeks ago and he was building a bigger version of what you were looking for. He's not far from you and may have some ideas you can use.

Disclainmer: I have zero knowledge of this guy, his quality of work or his business dealings. I get nothing out of this ~ just thought I'd pass some info along to possibly help.

http://www.fatboyshardcorebbqs.com/

Just BS 10-29-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman_pete (Post 2257952)
Thanks for the info. Just an FYI, I know a few folks who have bought pits from this guy and they were LESS than happy. I have not seem them first hand, but just letting you know what I heard.

Wow ~ That's good to know. I'd be interested to hear their feed back.

I am a novice on this whole REAL BBQ thing, and I thought some of the things he said about BBQ'ing were off base, but what do I know.

His gallery make it look likes he's built more than a few. I did notice that his welding skills seemed to be lacking, but I wasn't looking at a finished product, so I was giving him them benefit of the doubt, maybe he had plans to go back and tighten things up.

I'll stop there, as I don't want to hi-jack your thread. PM on its way.

Jbomb 11-01-2012 10:18 PM

I would love to see pics of anyones set ups as well.