The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   First Ever Turn in Boxes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83632)

NewEnglandQ 04-28-2010 08:19 PM

First Ever Turn in Boxes

2 Attachment(s)
I will soon be competing for the first time in a comp. I did a practice run and would love any feedback on these two turn in boxes.

Thanks

Attachment 40324

Attachment 40325

Ron_L 04-28-2010 08:34 PM

In both boxes the garnish is a little sloppy and takes away from the meat. Work on getting it more even in the box.

For the pork, I'd say it needs more chunks/pulled. Also, the sauce on the slices in the front looks too think. Also, the slices look thicker than normally seen. Try to slice the brisket so the slices are the thickness of a standard pencil.

The brisket looks like the slices were just tossed into the box. Trim them a bit so they aren't wider than the box and place them evenly and straight. You can probably get at least one more slice in there if you do ti neater.

Weiss Mountain Smoke 04-28-2010 09:01 PM

i think that pork looks great but the box needs some work. the box looks a little empty and the pieces of bark look like they placed in at random. maybe try adding some pulled or chunked pork to fill out the space and so not all of the pork in the box are so "barky" ... not everyone loves bark.

the brisket box is not bad. i really like the look of that smoke ring. as Ron said, trim the slices so they fit better within the width of the box.

remember, taste and tenderness are most important! :wink:

BRBBQ 04-28-2010 09:22 PM

I'd say pork add more chunks and brisket make the meat look even, kind of looks wavey,uneven. either way I'd eat it.

Chenernator 04-28-2010 10:58 PM

Try trimming the brisket to size before you cook it. That way you'll know it fits. Aside from the non-uniform sizes, I like the looks of it.

Definitely too much sauce on the pork. Judges want to see the meat.

SmokinOkie 04-29-2010 08:21 AM

The brisket slices looks rather random, try to get them more symetrical. Slice (from front) 1, 2, 4 look like the thin end is on the left and 3, 5 look to the right, so the slices don't look like they're from the same briskets.

Not that I'd notice when I have just a few seconds for appearance, but the slices "looked" off when I first looked.

Jorge 04-29-2010 08:38 AM

I can't tell for sure....is that the fat cap on the top edge of your brisket slices?

NewEnglandQ 05-02-2010 12:36 PM

Great feedback everyone, thanks for your comments. I will try to incorporate into my next run.

thanks again