The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tips needed to turn out a Killer Brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10367)

N2OGuy 01-11-2005 02:48 PM

Tips needed to turn out a Killer Brisket

Ok Guys Im planning a Brisket cook for tomorrow since Im off work. Help me make it a memorable experience :lol: . Im wanting to rub it down and let it sit overnight and start my low and slow tomorrow. Please help me with a good rub recipe and some good spray recipes to use while cooking. Techniques are also greatly appreciated as well as What your experience has been with the different cuts of brisket. Fatty up or down and trimmed or untrimmed? Thanks

kcquer 01-11-2005 03:06 PM

Although it will take the longest to cook, whole packer briskets are best, untrimmed. Try to keep your pit temps <220, I shoot for <215 so as never to "boil" any moisture out of the meat.
Fat Cap Down, at least thru the majority of the cook. You can start for the first couple hours with it up to jump start the bark if you like but the rest of the cook it should be down to help protect the fragile flat from the drying effects of the most intense heat.

Spray, I wouldn't worry about doing any spraying unless you're in the cooker anyway. early in the cook spraying will just inhibit the formation of the bark. As the boss sez, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. Spray if you get a heat spike after adding fuel and you need to bleed of a little extra heat. Makes you look smarter than just standing there with the door open :wink:
There's lotsa rubs in the recipes section. Use one with some sugar, it'll help "candy up" the surface and hold in the juices. Turbinado sugar works best as it is burn resistant longer than white or brown sugars. Use mustard as a pre-rub wetting agent to help bond the rub to the meat. Makes a world of difference.
Read the brisket thread listed in the "Roadmap" thread. There's an article in it that will really help you understand what you're trying to do with this big hunk o beef for 12-20 hours.
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...pic&t=2854

Don't be afraid to finish in the oven. You'll be tired and there's nothing wrong with some easy at the end.

BigAl 01-11-2005 03:40 PM

Good advice...and good luck!

Bill-Chicago 01-11-2005 08:18 PM

I can only get flats

I follow some Jimming methods

Fat cap down, to protect the meat.

Added sugar to the rub creates an AWESOME back.

I use Grub Rub and a good sugar based spray to build good bark.

jminion 01-11-2005 08:43 PM

What are you cooking on?

N2OGuy 01-11-2005 08:55 PM

On a Bandera.. I read the suggested threads above and Im gonna try in the morning to get it going.

Wayne 01-11-2005 09:11 PM

I always start of a brisket with a dose of Adolf's tenderizer. Then for a little zip you can always use chili powder for a rub. First you rub minced garlic all over the meat and then pat on a healthy amount of chili powder. You can also use your favorite rub recipe or a good commercial rub. I like Belly Busters from Porkey's. Leave it alone in the smoker to get a good crust started. I usually do not spray or mop but if you must then use an equal part mixture of red wine, cider vinegar, and your favorite hot sauce (Franks will do fine). Cook it off in the smoker for about 6 hours at 200 to 220 degrees and then put it in a covered roaster in the oven with about two cups of water for at least another 6 hours (I cook it over night) at 180 degrees. You can also foil the thing and stay up all night tending the fire if you want. Then if you slice it be sure to make the slices at least 1/2 inch thick (thinner will be hard to cut). My family likes it shredded or pulled like pork with the juice from the roaster over the top. To shred it I slice it into 4 inch chunks and then get busy with a set of bear claws. Serve with cheap bread, beans and lots of coleslaw. Ummmmmmm.....Brisket!

N2OGuy 01-11-2005 09:34 PM

Thanks Wayne that sounds awsome I getting hungry... makes me want to start it right now lol.

Neil 01-12-2005 03:35 AM

I always splash worsteschire sauce all over the brisket before applying the rub. When you apply the rub to the wet meat a nice paste develops and you just spread and rub it in all over, makes for a good bark.

jeffsasmokin 01-12-2005 04:25 AM

KC's advice, along with my own techniques produced the best brisket EVER at my holiday bash! My .02 - After rubbing the meat, I wrap it in saran wrap and stick it in the fridge for a day. Just before it hits the pit, I throw another good coating of rub on it until it's nice and dry. This double coat produces an awesome bark! Never baste or spray until it's been in the pit for a good 3 to 4 hours or you'll wash away all the good stuff!

BigBelly 01-12-2005 07:38 AM

I'll trim the fat to 1/4 of an inch of a flat only because I only get flats ATM. Coat with some simple yellow mustard and season it up. Let that site for at least 8 hours or overnight.

I'll smoke the brisket at 215-235 till I reach an internal temp of 140. I start mopping/ spraying after the second hour of cooking with a simple 50/40 mixture of Apple Juice and White Wine Worcestershire sauce. Once I reach 140 I foil and cook till I reach an internal temp of 190. I'll let the brisket rest for an hour or so prior to slicing. I don't slice any earlier only because I want to juices to recapitulate and the carry over cooking process will continue to tenderize my meat.

jminion 01-12-2005 11:54 AM

N20Guy
What kind of texture are you looking for? If you want a texture closer to that of pot roast (no judgement here) a couple of the techniques above will achieve that, Wayne's and BigBelly's as an example.
If you want tender but a 1/4" slice will stay together then you will want to foil much later in the cook or not foil till the brisket hits the target internal temp.

BigBelly 01-12-2005 02:53 PM

It's all lumpy gravy, Jim. =)

I must admit I am not a fan of the bark hence I do foil early. The mushy exterior is not an issue simply because I mostly eat the brisket as left overs so it is almost always subjected to the microwave, boil in the bag, or toaster oven reheats.

jminion 01-12-2005 03:34 PM

BigBelly
I understand it's all about adjusting your technique to the desired outcome.
Right now I have my 15 yearold grandson living with me, he has been to many competitions, so I get graded everytime he eats brisket. Damn he's a tough judge! :wink:

BigAl 01-12-2005 04:44 PM

Here is one of my "Signature" Briskets before and after PICs.

Here is a link that will help also, I think :!: :D
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...nature+brisket