• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My camping trip brisket (Pron heavy)

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well the camping trip was lots of fun and there was lots of great food. We did freeze our arses off at nights with temps in the low 30's. I know some of you up north hit single digits but 30s is cold for us south texans in tents ha ha. Fajita tacos friday night, bacon and eggs saturday morning, and grilled chicken fajita thighs covered in franks buffalo sauce on a hamburger bun with avocado slices for lunch saturday. Yum! But everyone's highlight was by far the brisket which I said I was going to try smoking on the kettle. This was my first time smoking a brisket and the kettle performed flawlessly. I was just mad I had not tried this sooner. Started around 10:15am and me and my girlfriends BIL (who questioned doing this on a kettle) seasoned the brisket with just garlic powder, salt and pepper. This was a 12 lb packer. I used the firebrick method and minioned it with mesquite chunks. I took the high heat approach and kept the temp at 350 almost the entire cook. And I did not peek for the first two hours but it was tough not to. After 3 hours we rotated the brisket and all in all it was a 6 hour cook till it was fall apart tender. Foiled at 3 hours and added more seasoning then cooked it till tener. The kettle did awesome I did not need to refuel and it wasn't much tending other than cracking and throttling back the top and bottom vents several times. It chugged along at 350 with a few spikes to 380 or so but that was easily taken down. I am not tooting my own horn but this is one of the best briskets I've ever tasted. My girlfriends bil has cooked and had many briskets before and thought it was one of the juciest and best tasting briskets he's had also. Everyone loved it. Thanks to all who offered me advice and I can't wait to make another one! He was a kettle believer after this weekend of doing mostly all our cooking on it. Now the pron and lots of it.

Picture021-1.jpg

Brisket on

Picture030.jpg

At 3 hrs

Picture031.jpg

A peek shot

Picture026-2.jpg

Steady at 350

Picture025.jpg

My helper

Picture024-1.jpg

Chugging along

Picture019.jpg

The view at dusk

Picture036.jpg

Unwrapping

Picture038-1.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Me slicing

Picture040-1.jpg

I did not cut it small it fell apart

Picture042-2.jpg

Did not need any sauce

Thanks to the brethren for your advice!

Camping trip? Sounds like a COOKING trip! Looks great! Where did you go?

That's some good looking dinner there. Whats in the side dish there? Beans, rice....What else?

You're right now that I think of it all we did was eat. We were in Campwood TX at Cooksey Park. Did a little fishing and drinking.

You're right now that I think of it all we did was eat. We were in Campwood TX at Cooksey Park. Did a little fishing and drinking.
Nice!

That brisket is beautiful! I've always cooked brisket in about 6 hours on an ECB and a Weber 22.5 indirect with great results. I am just about to start learning on a horizontal offset at lower temps to see how that goes. (see the NBBD thread today) It will definitely give me more cooking space and I think that will be a great way to cook poultry. I'll see how it goes, but I suspect that I am going to prefer higher temps for brisket.

man, sounds like a great trip! glad everything went well! goodlooking food you guys ate!

Looks great! I think that dog really wanted some brisket. Hope there was enough to share.:cool:

Nice!! Looks like a great time. We're the fish biting? I love using the kettle for butts and brisket. It's a true multi purpose cooker.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

We caught 1 15in. bass but that is it all weekend. It was getting cold at night so im sure most fish are on the bottom of the river and we were just fishing off the banks so we didn't have any luck. And cooking in a kettle amazes me too. I grew up where people just have heavy 3/8 in steel bbq pits and big smokers. And those are great but when I moved to a bigger city I couldn't bring a big grill like that here. So I went to wally world and saw the little smokey joe and picked it up to do some grilling while I was living in an apartment. I fell in love with that little grill then upgraded and now I think its the best thing I've ever cooked on. The more I visit sites like these and learn it really is a great cooking tool. I'm a weber freak now. I have a SJS, SJP, Weber Q 100 and the OTG 22. Gotta love weber products. The only thing I hated was the Go Anywhere gas grill I had I gave that away. But everything else stays! Now that I own a home half my garage is my cookers and charcoal bags. Grilling outside has become an obsession now and I'm making a name for myself with the good food I've been putting out. I was actually telling the story about this website this weekend when they were asking me how I knew to use firebricks and do a minion start. After telling them all about how we all take pictures and share experience and knowledge they looked at me like I was a dork. But I'm a dork that can cook the hell out of some meat!

Back