The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Freash Ham (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150634)

K80Shooter 01-01-2013 06:06 PM

Freash Ham

Picked up a 20lb freash (green) ham today and planning on smoking it tomorrow. Going to leave the skin on and rub all exposed meat with sm cherry and smoking with hickory.

Planning on cooking it on the xl-egg indirect at 275*. How long do you guy's think it will take? I'm guessing maybe 10 hours.

Planning on having it for dinner tomorrow around 6pm. Thought I'd put it on the warm egg at about 5:30 am. Does this sound doable?

Oh yeah prOn to come :thumb:

Hoss 01-01-2013 06:28 PM

16-18 hours minimum at that temp.It will taste like pork roast if it has not been brined.They are good cooked fresh,I have done several that way.Just do not expect a "Ham" flavor without brining before you smoke it. Hope this helps.Don't get me wrong,you can get it done enough to be safe to eat and slice it into slices in that timeframe.Guess I'm not sure what end product you want.Sliced vs. pulled. Maybe I am off base here.

K80Shooter 01-01-2013 06:51 PM

Was thinking if it wouldnt be done enough for pulled that I could go sliced.

I know it will not have a "ham" taste. I really do not care for that taste myself.

Would it be better to bump it up to 300*? I knew we used to do a whole hog on a home made smoker at about the 18 hour mark, so I thought maybe with just the ham it might be quicker. Makes sense though, the ham is the biggest part on the whole hog.

Hoss 01-01-2013 07:55 PM

I would do 300 dome,just in case sumthin went haywire.You do know that the OVERLY conservative USDA now admits that pork is safe to eat at 145 degrees f,right?.You should have no problems.I did one once til it hit pulled temp,some of the best sammiches I ever tasted.Good luck.:thumb:

Callahan-que 01-01-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 2313548)
I would do 300 dome,just in case sumthin went haywire.You do know that the OVERLY conservative USDA now admits that pork is safe to eat at 145 degrees f,right?.You should have no problems.I did one once til it hit pulled temp,some of the best sammiches I ever tasted.Good luck.:thumb:

Interesting, I would think a ham would be too lean a cut for PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoss 01-01-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'ville Grill (Post 2313557)
Interesting, I would think a ham would be too lean a cut for PP.

I cooked mine lo n slo til they were fall apart tender.It was good eats.(250-275 Dome),They were also wrapped in brown craft paper when it hit 155 I.T. and then finished off at the same temp.I pulled em at 205 I.T. I have never done a fresh ham(hind leg of pig) at a higher temp for slicing.Unchartered waters for me there.All I can tell him is it will be safe to eat after it hits 145 I.T. Safe and good are two VERY different things.:wink:

Callahan-que 01-01-2013 08:49 PM

I'll have to try a fresh ham for My next PP.

Hoss 01-01-2013 08:59 PM

Good eats,really.Think about it.The Holy Grail of wonderful Q is Whole Hog.A whole hog contains 2 hams,(the largest portion),2 shoulders(butt & picnic)2 loins,2 tenderloins(which are very lean) ribs and middlin(belly).There is a LOT more meat,volume wise that is considered lean than otherwise.Just sayin,way more ham and loin than shoulder and belly meat in whole hog Q.I still b leave whole hog is THE BEST Q.:thumb:

K80Shooter 01-01-2013 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just couldn't stand the thoughts of cooking the ham at 300* so I took a nap and here she is just going onto the egg at a grate temp of 250* Also gave it another dusting of sm cherry.

chickenchoker 01-02-2013 07:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just did one for Christmas Eve....was about 25 pounds before I trimmed it. I removed the outer skin and left as much fat cap as I could and wet brined it unfortunately for only 3 days to add some moisture and flavor. I injected it with butchers pork and rubbed it with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Glazed it with a combo texas rib candy mango hababnero/ root beer syrup/ brown sugar glaze. It went onto the cooker at about midnite the night before and came off the cooker at about 10 am. Was on the 18 inch WSM at about 235- 260. No draft control so the varied temps as it was windy. I took it off at 155 degrees internal temp for slicing. I wrapped it and It sat in the cooler for about 8 hours before we finally ate it and the outer layers were a little dry to my liking truthfully but had good flavor. the center was perfect though and next time I will fully cure and shoot for maybe 150 center temp.

K80Shooter 01-02-2013 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
12 Hours in she is at a it of 172* and smells like heaven :clap2: Going to bring her up a bit more.

Also thought I'd start a small pot of stew to go with it.

K80Shooter 01-02-2013 05:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here she is all finished up. Was quite good.

bluetang 01-02-2013 07:01 PM

Dang sure looks quite good!:clap:

Lake Dogs 01-02-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 2313603)
Good eats,really.Think about it.The Holy Grail of wonderful Q is Whole Hog.A whole hog contains 2 hams,(the largest portion),2 shoulders(butt & picnic)2 loins,2 tenderloins(which are very lean) ribs and middlin(belly).There is a LOT more meat,volume wise that is considered lean than otherwise.Just sayin,way more ham and loin than shoulder and belly meat in whole hog Q.I still b leave whole hog is THE BEST Q.:thumb:

Yep, IMHO a fresh/green ham makes the BEST BBQ. Now, they're not quite as forgiving as a butt/shoulder, but awesome meat and a better flavor than the butt. I do pay particular attention to keeping these moist though. I do inject, and I do foil, and the drippings get poured back into the foil before sealing up. They come out moist, tender, taste like the pulled pork that it is.

Awesome job K80Shooter.

Bama Ron 01-03-2013 10:06 PM

Great post!!:clap: