The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Competition Trailer - Costs? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142060)

Teamfour 08-21-2012 07:34 AM

Competition Trailer - Costs?

I went to the Extreme website and saw that their mini competition trailer cost is around $15k.

Not trying to single Extreme out, but what in the world makes a trailer like that so expensive. For comparison sake, my 27 foot RV trailer with stove, micro, fridge, a/c, heat, bathroom, etc cost only $14k a few years ago. I know materials have increased in cost, but something seems off here.

Almost makes me want to get an inexpensive RV and mod the rear end to be a porch.

Jaskew82 08-21-2012 07:48 AM

Or a nice toy hauler.

dhuffjr 08-21-2012 08:03 AM

To me, especially if you have kids or like to camp a TH is the way to go. I used to lug two BGE's in and out of a minivan so I have no problems with the load/unload from the trailer.

Plus we have a home away from home. Spring break at the beach in Florida, summer vacation in the DC area, plus the 5 contests we are cooking this year.

The_Kapn 08-21-2012 08:13 AM

We have several Brothers who own Extreme Trailers and I am sure they will be along to explain the quality.
I was working with James two years ago on a custom build and was totally impressed with the quality and service. Did not finish the deal because we retired from competition for other reasons.

Kind of like a high end luxury or sports car in pricing.
Many folks think they are well worth the money for a multitude of reasons.

James is a vendor here on the Brethren.
Check out his section for some information on specific rigs he has built.

TIM

Teamfour 08-21-2012 08:38 AM

OK, I take back the question on what makes the cost worth it - at least on the Extreme trailers. I looked at some of the construction photos and the trailers are a work of art!

Big Ugly's BBQ 08-21-2012 08:48 AM

I had alot of the same questions you have, when we starting shopping. It came down to the quality of workmanship, customer service and the trailer itself. We went from a small 5x10 Haulmark to our Extreme. I can only compare it to going from a Yugo to a Hummer.

Muzzlebrake 08-21-2012 09:20 AM

You really do get what you pay for when buying a custom trailer. Just about everyone I've spoken to has been very happy dealing with James and the Extreme team. You might also want to look at what Jay Curry and thr Spicewine crew are doing. I think they started doing a limited number of trailers last year and Jay's craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none

Balls Casten 08-21-2012 10:20 AM

craftmanship and detail and certinly worth paying for but construction materials and axel weights are the real money drivers when compairing trailer costs.

Ford 08-21-2012 11:59 AM

If you have no intention of ever vending the a toy hauler is probably the way to go. Just need to watch weight specs for loading the back if it's bumper pull. Once it's outfitted get the tongue weight measured. You may want to add weights to the front to keep it pulling right.

Svenmac 08-21-2012 02:44 PM

You are in the same boat we were in earlier this year. I knew what I wanted and just hade to find the price point to make it happen. In the end you have to think about it like this.

1 Are you going to be doing 5 contests a year, 10, 15, 30? If your answer is not 15-30 a year then you are fooling yourself that you need a $15K +trailer

2 Are you will to take that much depreciaiton? If you buy a $3000 trailer you can sell it pretty easily on craigslist or ebay for $2000+. If you buy a $15000 trailer you can sell it on craigslist or ebay for $2000+. :( (There is exceptions but with the economy you will take a loss unless you find just the right person with jsut the right need)

3 If you go the cheaper route are you willing to take the lighter frame and lower workmanship?

We weighed all of these and since we do about 8-10 contest a year we went with a $3300 porched trailer and we are really happy so far. I know that I will have more maintenance cost over the life but then again if I need to sell I know I can part with it fairly quickly.

Just dont dive TOO deep in a trailer

sitnfat 08-21-2012 03:03 PM

I built my trailer it was a 12ft dove tail 1000 in materials. A weeks worth of afternoons. The Villa was born.

cpw 08-21-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sitnfat (Post 2184500)
I built my trailer it was a 12ft dove tail 1000 in materials. A weeks worth of afternoons. The Villa was born.

Do you have any pics you can post of it?

big piggin bbq 08-22-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

and the villa is sweet!!!

Teamfour 08-22-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

I would like to see that since I have a 16 ft dovetail.

Teamfour 08-22-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svenmac (Post 2184484)
We weighed all of these and since we do about 8-10 contest a year we went with a $3300 porched trailer and we are really happy so far.

Where did you find a $3300 porched trailer?