The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I Made A BIG Boo-boo (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159783)

Cack 04-29-2013 12:32 PM

I Made A BIG Boo-boo

So I did a cook not this past, but the weekend before that, and somehow forgot to cover my smoker back up. The past 4 days has been a steady rain.

Obviously, I had to let the smoker cool off before I could throw the tarp back on it, but we got busy with wedding stuff and I completely forgot about it.

Would a real hot fire help soak it up any or do I have to pray to the BBQ Gods that my smoker doesn't rust out? :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

tinman 04-29-2013 12:39 PM

Depends on the type of BBQ you have and the type of metal exposed. Firing it up will definitely drive moisture out. If you want to avoid rusting, covering it up and leaving it wet wouldn't be a good idea.

Cack 04-29-2013 12:41 PM

I have a Lang

Phrasty 04-29-2013 12:43 PM

Blaze it up and oil her down... :thumb:

Cheers

cpw 04-29-2013 12:43 PM

With a Lang, you'll be fine. It'll take more than one rainstorm to rust that bad boy out.

If you do get some surface rust, just spray some cooking spray on there while it's hot. Most of the time, the only place we'll ever get rust on ours is the firebox. And that's after cooking a contest where it rained for 24 hours.

ButtBurner 04-29-2013 12:50 PM

you go out there right now and light a fire in her!!

tell her you are sorry and that you love her very much

hopefully she will forgive you

tisk tisk tisk

Mark Warren 04-29-2013 12:54 PM

A few times a year I take a paper towel with shortening an put on a heavy layer all over the inside everywhere and fire it up nice and hot to season it and keep it from rusting inside. The outside I touch up all the time with High Temp spray paint flat black to keep it nice and pretty.

SmokinJohn 04-29-2013 12:56 PM

A Lang? ooooooooh........I think you should pay a penalty. You should trade your lang to another brethren for an ECB for a month (after you have cleaned it up)...

I, unfortunately, am not close enough to you to complete the penalty.

Cack 04-29-2013 12:57 PM

i'm going to burn her out tonight ... just wanted to make sure it'd work

Cack 04-29-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJohn (Post 2464386)
A Lang? ooooooooh........I think you should pay a penalty. You should trade your lang to another brethren for an ECB for a month (after you have cleaned it up)...

I, unfortunately, am not close enough to you to complete the penalty.

Trust me, that thing has been babied ... minus this past week.

See what getting married will do to you? Get caught up with all that mess and forget about the important stuff (no my fiancee does not read this site :becky:)

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 04-29-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cack (Post 2464389)
Trust me, that thing has been babied ... minus this past week.

See what getting married will do to you? Get caught up with all that mess and forget about the important stuff (no my fiancee does not read this site :becky:)

I'd let her read it. Every good woman should know her role in the relationship. If things ever go south she has to know which girl is being kept.

fingerlickin' 04-29-2013 05:21 PM

Whew, when I read the title I thought you might have gotten up to take a leak in the middle of the night again.

dwfisk 04-29-2013 06:16 PM

Wow, just got back home to Florida after a quick work trip to Charleston, if I had known I could have picked her up, brought her home and cleaned her up for you. Probably have to schedule another trip - could have gotten it back to you about - - - Christmas.:rolleyes:

popeye 04-29-2013 07:28 PM

thats what happens when you plan a wedding ... mine is 12th of october .

Hoss 04-29-2013 08:23 PM

Shop vac the water out,(if there is standing water) leaf blower it dry,fire her up and oil her down while still warm.(the smoker).:wink: