The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   a little Tri-Tip practice with Rub Co rubs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105029)

R2Egg2Q 04-22-2011 10:10 PM

a little Tri-Tip practice with Rub Co rubs

After cooking some chicken on the Weber OTP last night I decided I to just keep cooking and have a little tri-tip practice on the kettle. I quickly seasoned a nice tri-tip with a blend of the Rub Co Santa Maria Style and Original rubs:

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...Q/IMG_7869.jpg

I indirectly grilled the tri-tip on the kettle in the 300-325 range with some of Green Leaf BBQ's wine-infused oak for smoke and gave it a really quick sear (IT was a little too high to give it a longer sear) at the end. Pulled it at about 133 IT and after the rest found IT topped out at 136.

Sliced it up and enjoyed some juicy delicious tri-tip! Nevermind that I had already eaten a nice chicken dinner :crazy:. Leave it to me to have tri-tip for dessert.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/...Q/IMG_7876.jpg

Groundhog66 04-22-2011 10:16 PM

Looks a little dry John, you better keep practicing :thumb:

speedrcer1 04-22-2011 10:45 PM

That looks awesome!
Watch out west coasters, we are on to you trully awsome tri-tip!
Attachment 52053
Why the heck we still have to search out tri-tips around here I have no idea.
I am trying to spread the gospel around here.

martyleach 04-22-2011 10:47 PM

John, that deep red reminds me of a Picanha I recently tasted..... Hey, your tri-tip looks great.

R2Egg2Q 04-22-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedrcer1 (Post 1619094)
Why the heck we still have to search out tri-tips around here I have no idea.
I am trying to spread the gospel around here.

I hear that many states kindly ship theirs out here to California :becky:. Unfortunately, many butchers were grinding them into sirloin burgers. Sounds like you need to cook some more and spread the word!

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyleach (Post 1619099)
John, that deep red reminds me of a Picanha I recently tasted..... Hey, your tri-tip looks great.

Thanks Marty. If only I could have stuck around long enough to try that picanha :mad:. We really need to find a way to get access to them.

martyleach 04-22-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q (Post 1619131)
I hear that many states kindly ship theirs out here to California :becky:. Unfortunately, many butchers were grinding them into sirloin burgers. Sounds like you need to cook some more and spread the word!

Thanks Marty. If only I could have stuck around long enough to try that picanha :mad:. We really need to find a way to get access to them.

The Executive Chef at a restaurant where my son works said I could come along with her to Restarant Depot. She said she would buy me the meat if I would cook it for her :) I just hope they have it..

R2Egg2Q 04-22-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyleach (Post 1619136)
The Executive Chef at a restaurant where my son works said I could come along with her to Restarant Depot. She said she would buy me the meat if I would cook it for her :) I just hope they have it..

Sounds like you need to go shopping soon! If you need any assistance shopping or with quality assurance (taste tester), I'll volunteer my services :heh:.

landarc 04-22-2011 11:39 PM

Hmmm, you been searching a lot. It sure is good.

PatioDaddio 04-22-2011 11:39 PM

Pfft! I wouldn't feed that to my dog!

...because I'd eat it all first! :-D

Man, you certainly nailed that!

John

OakPit 04-23-2011 12:06 AM

Great looking Tri tip! I bet it made a great dessert.

mbshop 04-23-2011 01:46 AM

that looks about as good as it gets ! i'm gonna rotiss one this weekend and see how it turns out doing it that way.

Will work for bbq 04-23-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbshop (Post 1619214)
that looks about as good as it gets ! i'm gonna rotiss one this weekend and see how it turns out doing it that way.

I've done them in my showtime before, comes out great.

R2Egg2Q that tri tip looks perfect from here :hungry:

jaymo 04-23-2011 05:29 AM

That looks delicious!

LoveBBQ 04-23-2011 10:23 AM

Looks awesome! Finally found some tri tips at Costco here. We've been buying the Mortons version for years, but soon plan on picking up some of that rub and some fresh meat.

R2Egg2Q 04-23-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBBQ (Post 1619414)
Looks awesome! Finally found some tri tips at Costco here. We've been buying the Mortons version for years, but soon plan on picking up some of that rub and some fresh meat.

Thanks! Ryan at The Rub Co makes some great rubs and this combo worked really well fo our tastes!