Smoked turkey leg recipe??

rcthorne

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I thought I'd give the turkey legs a smoke on the BGE, but I've never tried before. Anyone got some good recipes or tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best tip I can give is to brine. Without that step it's really hard to keep them edible.

I thought I'd give the turkey legs a smoke on the BGE, but I've never tried before. Anyone got some good recipes or tips?

This recipe will knock your socks off...I guarantee it :thumb:

BEST DAMNED TURKEY LEGS...EVER

Ingredients:
8 - 12 turkey legs
Brine:
1 gallon water
1 C. kosher salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin

Instructions: Rinse turkey legs in cold water, pat dry. For brine, combine brine ingredients in large pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Pour into container (a large Rubbermaid container with lid works well) and refrigerate brine until cold (approximately 35-40 degrees F).
Place the turkey legs into brine. Let soak four to six hours. Remove legs, rinse well, and discard brine. Dry drumsticks well with paper towels.
Prepare Turkey Drumstick “wet rub” with the following ingredients:
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3 Tbsp vegetable or light olive oil

In small bowl, combine spice rub ingredients with fork til well mixed. Rub onto turkey legs. Let drumsticks sit out for about one hour. Place turkey legs into smoker at 225 degrees F. A light-flavored wood is best for turkey. Apple wood works well and so does cherry wood.
Smoke legs for four to six hours, til meat is nearly falling off the bone. Remove legs from smoker, and let rest for half an hour. Devour greedily.

This recipe will knock your socks off...I guarantee it :thumb:

BEST DAMNED TURKEY LEGS...EVER

Ingredients:
8 - 12 turkey legs
Brine:
1 gallon water
1 C. kosher salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin
Instructions: Rinse turkey legs in cold water, pat dry. For brine, combine brine ingredients in large pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Pour into container (a large Rubbermaid container with lid works well) and refrigerate brine until cold (approximately 35-40 degrees F).
Place the turkey legs into brine. Let soak four to six hours. Remove legs, rinse well, and discard brine. Dry drumsticks well with paper towels.
Prepare Turkey Drumstick “wet rub” with the following ingredients:
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3 Tbsp vegetable or light olive oil
In small bowl, combine spice rub ingredients with fork til well mixed. Rub onto turkey legs. Let drumsticks sit out for about one hour. Place turkey legs into smoker at 225 degrees F. A light-flavored wood is best for turkey. Apple wood works well and so does cherry wood.
Smoke legs for four to six hours, til meat is nearly falling off the bone. Remove legs from smoker, and let rest for half an hour. Devour greedily.

A little tip I forgot to add... To get your brine temp down quicker, reduce the amount of water you start out with and add ice to it to cool it down quicker.

I brine mine for about 8hrs, rub with your favorite rub, in the smoker..EZ, I usually make a batch early, use as appetizers to hold everybody over until main course is ready. Kids love them too.

Thanks guys.....'preciate it.

Back