• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Disposable Injectors

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am curious, do most of you use disposable injectors at competitions or re-use them. I have heard that bacteria on your injector is what causes track marks. For those of you that do use disposable needles/injectors, where is a good place to get them?

Thanks in advance,
Eggspert BBQ

I've used both. I keep a disposable in my comp. box as backup. I've re-used them too, I just make sure they go through the dishwasher with the anti-bacterial setting the day before I need them. They don't last long though, probably cause they weren't meant to.. :wink:

Yes on the streak marks in your brisket. Had a top named team tell me that little tid bit of info. So now im on the tractor supply band wagon also. funny i always tell them im buying all this for competition bbq. they always get a kick out of that...

I found that just doing a good job of cleaning injectors not enough to remove streaks so to sterilize them, I pour some vodka into a cup and cycle the inector a bunch of times, when done with the vodka, I make a coctail with it.

sounds crazy but Ive been streak free for awhile now

It's expensive, but I buy those $5 injectors and use one per contest. Bad thing is, is that it seems half of those injectors are screwed up right out of the box.

I found that just doing a good job of cleaning injectors not enough to remove streaks so to sterilize them, I pour some vodka into a cup and cycle the inector a bunch of times, when done with the vodka, I make a coctail with it.

sounds crazy but Ive been streak free for awhile now

I like your way of thinking.

Tractor supply is the place to go for the injector and different gauge needles.

If you want to go down that road just boil your injector & needles - they're made to withstand autoclaving.

I use disposable. Sometimes I reuse them at home but I use a new one at each comp. If you order stuff from the kansascitybbqstore.com you can send them a note they will add it to your order. It's not on their website but they have them in the store. I get my needles from a veterinary supply store.

I guess I'm the only one that uses the steel injector from academy with 6" needle and 12 spiral holes. I inject from the side and never get iniection stains. It has alot to do with the strength and color of your injection alot with how you cut also

I guess I'm the only one that uses the steel injector from academy with 6" needle and 12 spiral holes. I inject from the side and never get iniection stains. It has alot to do with the strength and color of your injection alot with how you cut also

I've got that injector, it just seems it would leave a big hole left behind for all the injection to leak out. But I guess I'm over thinking it, cause you have pretty good success with brisket...

What sides do you inject? Against the grain or with?

I've got that injector, it just seems it would leave a big hole left behind for all the injection to leak out. But I guess I'm over thinking it, cause you have pretty good success with brisket...

What sides do you inject? Against the grain or with?

I inject parallel with the angle I intend to cut. Every once in a while one slice might be a little darker but not often, that's just tryin to pump too much into the brisket. Less is more. I got a guy that always hooks me up with superior briskets with really straight grains so usually I'm cutting directly across the flat since I inject directly across the flat
Not a very good pic of the box, but we honestly started doin so much better focusing on something that is juicy, tender and tasty rather than pretty
b8048cb5.jpg

We use disposables, and wash them without heroic measures like autoclaving, and don't get streaks. I do cycle them out fairly frequently, since they become harder to push one-handed and my hands aren't the strongest. I'd lean more to injection recipe and technique as the cause of streaking.

I use the spit jack magnum injector. It s been the best injector that I have used. It is a ratchet style injector ,similar to a caulk gun . I never have any issues. When injecting our brisket you need to push the needle in the beef with the grain of the meat. If you push needle against grain of meat. That what causes track marks in the meat.

I use the spit jack magnum injector. It s been the best injector that I have used. It is a ratchet style injector ,similar to a caulk gun . I never have any issues. When injecting our brisket you need to push the needle in the beef with the grain of the meat. If you push needle against grain of meat. That what causes track marks in the meat.

Yeah when you use a single outlet needle you make a big arse pocket. What works for one won't always work for another. Never had any luck with hypodermics or any needle for that fact that only has 1 outlet

I boil the needle before packing it away and have not had a problem. I am tempted to try the vodka solution next time!

Back