The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need a dinner idea for sunday, thoughts?!? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153915)

Time_1 02-15-2013 12:07 PM

Need a dinner idea for sunday, thoughts?!?

So my brother in-laws family is in the states from Australia and my wife wants to have them over on sunday for dinner. My wifes wants me to throw something in the smoker (UDS) for them. I dont want to do ribs and tri-tip is what im thinking about doing just looking for other ideas.

Thoughts? I kind of want to WOW them :becky:

BobBrisket 02-15-2013 12:11 PM

Can't go wrong with pulled pork sammiches, cole slaw, etc. As for the WOW! ABT's, fatties for the appetizer and or pig candy!

MisterChrister 02-15-2013 12:17 PM

Smoked pulled chuckie always goes over good too. Search for pepper stout beef.

BobBrisket 02-15-2013 12:28 PM

You may also want to ask if there is something they don't like so that you can stay away from it.

Callahan-que 02-15-2013 12:52 PM

What's wrong with ribs?

deguerre 02-15-2013 01:01 PM

Rib in roast medium rare.

Big George's BBQ 02-15-2013 01:08 PM

I like what Bob said Do something they may not see in Australia- PM some of our Aussie Brethren and ask them

MisterChrister 02-15-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ (Post 2369252)
I like what Bob said Do something they may not see in Australia- PM some of our Aussie Brethren and ask them

Since when do you need to contact Bucs or Titch to get an opinion out of them?!?!? :laugh::boxing::becky:

Dgilleece 02-15-2013 01:15 PM

This may be blasphemy for this site but I say forget all that and deep fry them a turkey. I would put money on the fact that they have never tried one. :loco:

BobBrisket 02-15-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgilleece (Post 2369260)
This may be blasphemy for this site but I say forget all that and deep fry them a turkey. I would put money on the fact that they have never tried one. :loco:

Actually, deep frying stuff wouldn't be a bad idea either. Chicken wings, pork carnitas, big fish fry. On that note, a big crawfish/shrimp boil would be a WOW kinda deal too.

deguerre 02-15-2013 01:21 PM

Oooooo! Take them to Outback!

Seriously though, I like the fried or smoked turkey idea. Pretty sure they wouldn't have had either.

BobBrisket 02-15-2013 01:48 PM

Not to bash TT, but if you are thinking about going that route, you could just go with some really nice, thick steaks too. A surf and turf type grilled dinner would rock too.

LM600 02-15-2013 01:50 PM

What I'd do Mate is...

Find out what they like, don't like or any potential allergies.

Cook them something that is a local speciality, a way of cooking or a food that is mostly special to your location.

Find out how they like to eat, eg; Some prefer 'homestyle' informality, others like (and expect) a more formal setting, some are quite happy to get round early and help you prep and cook the food.

Hope that helps....and I guess, don't try and source some kangaroo or emu steaks for them!

Bludawg 02-15-2013 01:53 PM

I say cook what your comfortable doing that you do well. Keep it simple and don't over think it.

Carbon 02-15-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LM600 (Post 2369316)

Cook them something that is a local speciality, a way of cooking or a food that is mostly special to your location.

That would be my suggestion too. The OP being in Fresno, I think tri-tip is a good choice, although the UDS would not be my choice for the cooker.