• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Egg Woes... but amazing steaks.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
ok, after 5-7 cooks on the egg, tonight was steak night. Had the butcher cut me four, 1 - 1/4 inch shell steaks. Steaks got some s&p, garlic and lawrys. Then into a 700 degree egg. Had the egg loaded with bge lump and some mesquite. 4 minutes on each side, with all dampers open, then flipped once more and closed the damers, pulled at 135. While flipping the steaks, I notice a big crack in the firebox. The Egg is fine, just the inside firebox is cracked, right across one of the air holes. I noticed a small hairline crack last week, but this hot cook blew it apart.

Awesome steaks.. everyone noticed the difference from doing it on the kettle. The steaks were glistening on the outside when i pulled them off.. This thing is definatley a steak machine...

Went out afterwards to cleqn up. See that the felt gasket is also burned off in several places. So tomorrow will replace the gasket and I'll call about the firebox..not to concerned about it, just dont think it should crack after less than a dozen uses.. probably was hairlined when i got it and dint notice it. the gasket was a bit misaligned and maybe that caused them...

so to our Sr eggers... how long should these gaskets last, and even though i was warned that fireboxes eventually crack, should it happen this quick???

like i said. not concerned.. the important part is the steaks were great. :mrgreen:

Wow!...that was quick...I've not heard of a firebox going that quick. I'm sure Rick, Wayne, or Swamprb will chime in here shortly. I agree with you...the BGE is a steak machine! :p As I type I've got mine fired up with a couple of spuds...then gonna toss some on some NY Strips.

Gaskets come and go...so far mine is fine...even after a few 600 degree plus pizza burns.

How about a couple of steak pics...:p

Last edited:
Make sure you get the NOMEX Gasket. BGE should send you one for free. Clean the surfaces very, very good before installing the new gasket. Sorry to hear about the firebox!

Be sure to use the Dollar Bill test after you get the new gasket installed, hot spots could cause gasket failure as well.

Steaks are gone, but i can get a picture of the crack. :)

really was one of the best steaks i ever made.,.. same old recipe.. this thing just cooks different than the kettle.

Make sure you get the NOMEX Gasket. BGE should send you one for free. Clean the surfaces very, very good before installing the new gasket. Sorry to hear about the firebox!

i got an extra gasket with the egg.. is that NOMEX.? it looks like felt.. comes in a roll.

Steaks are gone, but i can get a picture of the crack. :)

really was one of the best steaks i ever made.,.. same old recipe.. this thing just cooks different than the kettle.

Uhh..no thanks...I'll pass on the pic of your crack Poob...:twisted:

Excuse me.......

But,what the is a shell steak???

When the tenderloin strip has been removed from the short loin, the remaining meat is known as a shell steak. Shell steaks are called by a variety of names, such as strip, New York strip and Kansas City strip. Ideal for one person, these steaks can be cut in any thickness you wish, usually from 1 to 2 1/2 inches.

Phil - note that in the video above the adhesive is applied only on the ceramic.. Above the video is a note that is might be recommeded to apply to the backside of the NOMEX gasket as well as the ceramic.

My med has a cracked firebox. I've been cooking on it that way for 15 months. It's my steak grilling egg. No telling how long it was cracked before that. Goes from the intake opening and streatches to 2 air holes. I have a new firebox in the box up in the attic. I'll use it when the firebox completely breaks and i can't put the pieces back together. I've seen pics of fireboxes that are in 5 pieces, but still perform.

I have a five year old gasket on one of my Eggs. Or what's left of a gasket. :biggrin: Mine has just worn out. Under normal circumstances, their life is based on your cooking habits. The exception is this recent discovery of a batch of bad gaskets. I've heard both good and not-so-good stories of how this issue has been resolved. I think in all honesty, I remember the not-so-good ones more that the good ones. But there are bound to be more good stories. It's kind of like getting atta-boy's all year long....then along comes one oh-chit and wipes all of them out, that's what you remember. If you have a spare, that's a good sign that your dealer was looking out for you. Play like it's a flat tire and change it.

A cracked firebox can happen at any time. Cracks love to propagate toward a hole, or between holes.....so your failure is a routine one. Don't take the firebox out or anything, just take a photo and have your dealer order a replacement (or they might give you one from the store). You can keep cooking with a cracked one. Some folks will continue to use the cracked one for quite some time.

i'll let the box go for now...no rush.. but the gasket is an issue. So the felt one is not the way to go... what the hell is this nomex we speak of and where do i get it. ?

i got an extra gasket with the egg.. is that NOMEX.? it looks like felt.. comes in a roll.

NOMEX comes in a roll and it is white, it most likely will come in 2 piece, mine did but I have the XL. I thought this would be a problem but it has held up fine. I just offset each piece so the ends were not at the same location. Call BGE and ask them for it, well worth the couple day wait. All the Prep work to remove the old gasket and clean the surface is a job you only want to do once! BGE should send it out free of charge. I really do not understand why they still use the felt with all the complaints.

Also, I would report the cracked firebox now, why wait. I would also suggest getting the Gasket on a separate order as warranty parts such as the Ceramic's are usually sent along with another order to save shipping costs. Depending on when the dealer has an order coming in, it could be awhile.

Last edited:
Back