The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Suggestions to remove rust from firebox (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150796)

forw44 01-03-2013 10:38 PM

Suggestions to remove rust from firebox

Hello brethren I have a Offset smoker and I'm noticing the bottom outside of my firebox has some rust spots. This smoker is barely 2 years old. How can I remove the existing rust to avoid further problems in the future? S/n I keep it covered when not in use.

IamMadMan 01-03-2013 11:18 PM

Light steel wool to a shiny finish then you can use touch-up high temp paint, or just season it and keep it seasoned.

If it is an issue from high temperatures in the firebox, you can line your firebox with fire brick tiles and a piece if 1/4 steel to help insulate the bottom and / or sides of the firebox..

Bludawg 01-03-2013 11:21 PM

it's the nature of the beast. Keeping he ashes cleaned out and wipe it down with Pam when it is still warm will help. To get rid of the rust you can sandblast it or aggressively attack it with with a Cup wheel on a grinder repaint with High temp header paint and wipe it own with pam while it i warm.

Zak 01-04-2013 08:11 AM

My prefered way to remove rust is a wire cup on an angle grinder but a wire wheel in a drill works good also. Get as much rust off as possible, wipe clean with something like acetone or denatured alcohol then coat with high heat paint.

captndan 01-04-2013 08:32 AM

Google Ospho

forw44 01-04-2013 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. That will be my project this weekend. I want to keep this smoker for years to come.

GMDGeek 01-04-2013 08:34 AM

Little bit of wool, heat, and oil. I oil mine now after every cook and randomly checking it (probably weekly). Seems to do the trick. I also keep a can of black spray around.

Zak 01-04-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captndan (Post 2316437)
Google Ospho

I wouldn't use that on a surface that's going to be heated. I'm not sure what it'd do once cured but the MSDS says "will produce irritating phosphoric oxide fumes under fire conditions".

NeoTrout 01-04-2013 11:22 AM

This

http://www.evaporust.com/ :cool:

harris92 01-04-2013 12:16 PM

I use JASCO Prep and Primer rust converter. It works great and you can paint over it. The rusted metal is converted overnight into a rust-retarding paintable surface after using it. Converting rust from ferrous iron to iron phosphate.

lola 01-04-2013 02:49 PM

There are several brands of rust converter/encapsulator paint on the internet that might do the job. Be sure to get the MSDS to know what it does when heated. Some products give off toxic fumes and are not usable in food cooking applications. I use a light sanding followed by high temp stove paint as I always have a rust issue on the southeast coast. Salt air + humidity = rust

captndan 01-05-2013 09:01 AM

All of these products contain phosphoric acid. The warning is for phosphoric acid that has not done it's job. Once it turns ferrous oxide into ferrous phosphate it's gone.

forw44 01-08-2013 10:38 PM

Thanks everyone. But since I will be using this product on the outside of my firebox it should all be fine.

flyingbassman5 01-08-2013 10:56 PM

On my offset, I hand sanded the heck out of it until it basically stopped shedding rust dust. Then hit it with Rustoleum High Heat BBQ pit paint.

Worked great and only had a few issue spots after that.

JOMANCHU 01-09-2013 12:37 AM

Wire wheel on drill or angle grinder then hit with high heat paint. Then season. I do this about ever year or when it starts looking bad.