Datil Pepper Harvest.....I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

garbageman59

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's Datil pepper time. Probably only one more round before it gets cold down here. Making jam and hot ketchup tomorrow (among several other things including polishing my new stainless grates). Anybody got any Datil pepper recipes??????

picture.php

Man those are nice. Tried growing some Datils last year but only got a few peppers. Didn't even get a chance to taste them. They over-rippened as I was out of town. May try a couple plants next season.

Thanks. It's hard to explain how they are finicky to someone who hasn't tried to grow them. I am blessed in many ways. Among them, my "Uncle Joe", he is a buddy of mine that is 67 and started working in a nursery when he was like 6. The greenest thumb I have ever seen. Below are his Datil plants. Some are 8 feet tall! It is ridiculous. Mine make peppers but he yields 50+ gallons! Gives them away by the bucketful.

picture.php

picture.php

Didn't even get a chance to taste them. They over-rippened as I was out of town. May try a couple plants next season.

If you haven't tried them it is worth a shot. They have a smokey character right of the plant! It's crazy. If you didn't see it picked you'd swear it went through a smoker. It's a refined, clean, smokey flavor in the background. They are HOT!

I have about 10-15 seeds left. Will give them another shot. I currently have a yellow bhut growing. Plant is full of flowers and peppers. I don't usually eat the peppers. I usually dry and smoke them then grind and add to rubs.

At 600-800,000 Scoville, that's a whole different animal! These look very similar but have a truly unique flavor. They were brought to St. Augustine (30 minutes away)from Chile (some say Spain) 100's of years ago and they really grow well locally. These are reportedly 100-300,000 Scoville.

Had a neighbor talking to me about datil peppers just yesterday. He said his wife is from St Augustine, and her mom had all kinds of recipes that they lost when she died.

He explained that daltil was a very unique taste that no other pepper has.

This showed up a few years back:

Relish, Datil Pepper Relish, Capri Man used my Datil pepper recipe but the chili peppers will not be as hot.
INGREDIENTS:
Chop Fine: 1/2 cup seeded Datil peppers.
1 medium onion
1 medium bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
In a LARGE pot, mix:
1 pint Cider vinegar
1 pint ketchup
3 Tbs Sugar
1 tsp Salt
PROCEDURE:
1 Blend well and add the chopped ingredients
2 Bring to a boil while stirring gently
3 Simmer as low as possible for about 40-45 minutes until thickened
4 Reduces to about 1/3 to 1/2 when thick enough.
5 Wear gloves while cutting peppers and removing seeds. Safety glasses also. A seed in the eye will cost a lot of money at the hospital.
6 Boil jars and add hot mix to the shoulder of the jar.
7 Keep in cool, dark place or in refrigerator.
Recipe Type
Condiment, Salsa Recipe Source Source: BBQ-Brethren, Capri Man, 2010/02/15

I make a Ketchup with them that causes family sparring :boxing:......every year about this time. It is really good mixed with coktail (or mayo) with seafood and shrimp, on burgers, fries, etc. Just the right heat.

Laurge non reactive sauce pot.......

Sweat together:
3 big green bell peepers
5-6 large onions
6 cloves garlic
1 heaping cup stemless Datil peppers (more if you like)

Blend this mixture to desired texture in a blender or food processor.

Back to sauce pot with the blended mixture.

Now add:
1 gallon of ketcup.
3 cups cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar or honey (less if you like hotter sauce).

Bring to gentle boil then simmer 1 hour stirring on occassion.

Remove from heat and bottle as you like.

I grow them here in Clearwater, FL. I pickle them and use the vinegar on greens. I also make pepper jelly with them. They are a pain to get started from seed. Latest seedling project I got three good plants out of 20 seeds. My weather is similar to St. Augustine (maybe a bit warmer) and so the plants do well once started. They are unique and worth the effort.

I found that the ball recipe has way too much vinegar. just my opion.

Back