The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259047)

Rib Rub 04-11-2018 06:04 PM

The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

2 Attachment(s)
I hope it is ok to create this, not sure if there is a thread on pellets yet, but lots of questions lately and be nice to have a place to discuss the grills without having to start a new thread everyday. Lets get it started!!

Had two racks in the fridge I was going to freeze and decided to do some ribs and chicken tonight. Did one rubbed in Oakridge Dominator and one with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. So far so good, they are looking fantastic. Did them in Hickory and Cherry and a few handfuls of mystery pellets I had in a brown bag? Think they were competition blend. Did them at 275 for 5 hours on my Wood Wind. Just some chicken breast and rubbed in some stuff from a local guy here that does hot sauces. It is called Hanks sauce. Good stuff. He is doing rubs now. Will find out in a bit how it is.

mowin 04-11-2018 06:19 PM

Love my GMG Daniel Boone. It's currently working on a couple Blu cheese bacon burgers.

jermoQ 04-11-2018 06:30 PM

I wish I could remember to take pics. I get too wrapped up in cooking, especially weekdays and forget to take pictures. I just got done eating some dry brined smoked turkey legs with the fam, made on the PitBoss. Used some fruitwood blend GMG pellets. Not bad, but they were less smoke flavored than I expected. Flavor was decent but I will have to pull the skin back and rub underneath next time to help it out. Still slicing on a couple of pastrami's that I did two weeks ago.

Rib Rub 04-11-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jermoQ (Post 3979566)
I wish I could remember to take pics. I get too wrapped up in cooking, especially weekdays and forget to take pictures. I just got done eating some dry brined smoked turkey legs with the fam, made on the PitBoss. Used some fruitwood blend GMG pellets. Not bad, but they were less smoke flavored than I expected. Flavor was decent but I will have to pull the skin back and rub underneath next time to help it out. Still slicing on a couple of pastrami's that I did two weeks ago.

Gotta snap a picture of the prize! Still looking to do my first Pastrami and Brisket, but most likely will do the Brisket on the PBC!

Richard_ 04-11-2018 06:44 PM

I love my Traegers , best cookers I own !

jermoQ 04-11-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rib Rub (Post 3979574)
Gotta snap a picture of the prize! Still looking to do my first Pastrami and Brisket, but most likely will do the Brisket on the PBC!

Your PBC will do a great job. Pastrami I did was smoked at 200° setting, placed on the top rack which is around 25°-35° higher than the bottom, where the grills thermometer sits. It had a good amount of smoke but not overkill for sure.

jgbmgb 04-11-2018 06:57 PM

We use Rec Tec's. 2 Trailblazers and 1 Bullseye. Best investment I ever made. We keep 1 at home and 1 at our camper at the coast. Very simple to operate and the new ones have Wifi controllers, can watch and control things from anywhere on my phone. And you can't beat their warranty and customer service. We had a larger size for 4 years before selling and getting 2 smaller ones.

Mo-Dave 04-11-2018 07:11 PM

Anyone ever have this happen. I had the smoker set up with 3 pork steaks, two sweet potatoes, and a small pot of baked beans. I had it set on low smoke, then turned it up 250, went it to wait for it to come up to temp, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, and my wife who was at the door saw the lid fly open and then saw it slam shut. I checked it out and it seamed ok, so I continued to cook even up the temp to 350. Anyway what in the heck could have cause it to do that?
Dave

Rib Rub 04-11-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowin (Post 3979559)
Love my GMG Daniel Boone. It's currently working on a couple Blu cheese bacon burgers.

I love Bacon Blu Cheese burgers. That is my goto burger! I think you just game me this weekends menu!

Bob C Cue 04-11-2018 07:18 PM

Good to have an Official Pellet Grill thread. Hope it's as successful as the PBCAT!

Rib Rub 04-11-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 3979593)
Anyone ever have this happen. I had the smoker set up with 3 pork steaks, two sweet potatoes, and a small pot of baked beans. I had it set on low smoke, then turned it up 250, went it to wait for it to come up to temp, all of a sudden there was a loud bang, and my wife who was at the door saw the lid fly open and then saw it slam shut. I checked it out and it seamed ok, so I continued to cook even up the temp to 350. Anyway what in the heck could have cause it to do that?
Dave

Yes indeed. My problem may have been a bit different. I accidentally switched it off and then back on again and the computer got screwed up and started to feed pellets non stop. I started to notice flames and then “BANG” the lid blew open and flames were flying! Freaked me out. After I got the fire out I broke the grill down and the fire box was overflowing with pellets. I never had this problem ever again, but never had any issues changing temps.

tom b 04-11-2018 07:24 PM

scary stories for sure

jermoQ 04-11-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 3979593)
Dave

What cooker do you run? Sounds pretty unusual!

Mo-Dave 04-11-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jermoQ (Post 3979609)
What cooker do you run? Sounds pretty unusual!

Camp Chef Deluxe.
Dave

Rib Rub 04-11-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C Cue (Post 3979602)
Good to have an Official Pellet Grill thread. Hope it's as successful as the PBCAT!

I thought it would be cool to have some discussion and see some cook offs on the pellets. The PBC is a fantastic thread. I have been reading through it in bed nightly on my tablet. Hoping to have some better success with my new PBC next time around.