The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Simple duck breast (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122273)

dealm9 12-16-2011 11:47 AM

wow that looks great gore! do you still render the fat in the frying pan if you choose to take the low and slow indirect way of cooking duck instead of just grilling it. i feel like if you were to smoke it you would want all the fat on so it would render into the meat and then maybe finish it off in the frying pan like you did? maybe not though, sadly i have never done duck but this makes me want to try. this seems pretty straight forward

sandiegobbq 12-16-2011 12:51 PM

Red is good.

Love duck especially peking duck.

I have done it at home but not yet with the bicycle pump to separate the skin from the meat. I kind of pull on the skin and try to separate it that way before going through the process.

Great job!

Gore 12-16-2011 01:31 PM

My wife does the Peking duck and it is a three-day process. Usually it is best in the oven. We've done it three times in the Primo. Only the last time did the fat render well (we kicked the temp up). The problem is that poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge and it is difficult to render the fat before it is too smokey.

Hugo 12-16-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihrer (Post 1882397)
:thumb::thumb::thumb: Duck fat is awesome to use in cooking. Render enough of it and you can confit some whole garlic which can then be used as a spread or used in sauces. Then take the fat after you have finished the garlic and fry you up some taters like DoughBoy suggested.

BTW, the OP's duck breasts look mighty tasty.

That sounds awesome!!!

Oh, and ofcourse it looks great Gore :thumb:

buccaneer 12-16-2011 02:59 PM

Gore, Love to see you starting with the duck layed in a cold pan!:thumb:
Gorgeous and making me want duck...again.
Those are way better than the duck I can buy hereabouts too, way better!

sandiegobbq 12-16-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 1882514)
My wife does the Peking duck and it is a three-day process. Usually it is best in the oven. We've done it three times in the Primo. Only the last time did the fat render well (we kicked the temp up). The problem is that poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge and it is difficult to render the fat before it is too smokey.

Does she use the air compressor or the bicycle pump to separate the fat from the meat?

I have grilled duck and it has rendered nicely.

Haven't smoked it.

Abelman 12-16-2011 03:24 PM

You know what, I really like that recipe for a Greenhead or a LI Duck. Never thought of the side burner for the rendering :thumb: I like that process to save the fat. Duck fat is some special stuff and as someone mentioned, in conjunction with some taters, that really works.

Usually, I just marinate them, quarter or half them, and onto the grill after 24 hours in the juice.

Thanks for the post, I have some combining to do :thumb::clap2:

deguerre 12-17-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 1882313)
Sorry, I just can't eat taters like that anymore. As far as the rendering, that is the lowest setting my side-burner can do. I'd love it if I could set it lower, but it goes out. The low on the Weber is like a med-high on our inside stove.

If you've got an outlet outside, you could use a hotplate...

Al Czervik 12-17-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 1883271)
If you've got an outlet outside, you could use a hotplate...

Or a heating blanket... :becky: