The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Buying New Smoker - Need Advice! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259569)

AKMIMNAK 04-26-2018 07:11 PM

Buying New Smoker - Need Advice!

Brethren, what to do?

I sold my TOP-Pearsall today and am ready to buy something different. I live in MN where both the used and new options for legit smokers are slim pickins. I have three options based on my price point (less than $1500), each with its own pros and cons. What would you do?

NEW
Yoder Cheyenne with a couple extra options thrown in. $1200.
Pros: Stick burner flavor (my preference); Free delivery.
Cons: Stick burner effort, and very small (I'm not talking capacity. I don't need much of that as I only cook for 3 people. I'm talking height.)

Yoder YS 480. $1449.
Pros: Ease of pellets. Free delivery.
Cons: Not quite same flavor as sticks; electrical components.

USED
Yoder Loaded Wichita. $1200.
Hold your horses, I know you're thinking this is a no-brainer. But the cooker is 275 miles north of me. Have you checked UHaul's mileage prices lately? I don't have my own truck, and having just moved here, don't have close friends who'd lend me one. 550 mile round trip is a huge commitment of time and money in this scenario.

What advice do y'all have? Or life hacks for transporting heavy things less expensively? Also, if you are a fan of the YS480 option, please give feedback on:

1) How long should I expect the electrical components to last?
2) How is the warranty and customer service at Yoder if they fail?

And finally, if you have a different option to recommend that is udnder $1500 including shipping, I'm all ears.

Thanks, brethren. Happy smoking this summer.

PnkPanther 04-26-2018 07:21 PM

Are you shopping at quetopia? He's only local Yoder dealer I know. Ask him about good one open range. I'm very happy with mine

Yoder's have drafting issues that would make me hesitate

Joshw 04-26-2018 07:36 PM

I have a ys640 and Love it! I can't imagine you not liking a ys480, other than I think it would be too small for me. So I would really think about how much you cook at one time. I personally don't think there is that much difference in flavor, than a good stick burner, once you learn temps and play around with a smoke tube. I find that I cook a lot more often, just because it is so much less time consuming. If you are busy at all, I highly recommend the pellet. I know most people will disagree, but they probably haven't cooked on a Yoder. It's just so great to come home from work sthrow some food on, and go inside and relax while dinner is cooking.

Warranty is: 1-year on the igniter, 3-years on the control system and 10-years on the cooking body.

I have had mine since last September, with no issues at all. When they shipped it, they forgot to pack my 2 piece diffuser plate. I called them, they knew exactly who I was. Apologized, and said they would ship me one. When I got home from work the next day, it was sitting on my porch. They sent it overnight. I haven't needed to talk to them since.

That is a good deal on the Wichita, I would check on uship, and see what it would cost to get it shipped. If I could get a good deal, and had the time to use it. That would be
the way to go.

AKMIMNAK 04-26-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PnkPanther (Post 3987563)
Are you shopping at quetopia? He's only local Yoder dealer I know. Ask him about good one open range. I'm very happy with mine

Yoder's have drafting issues that would make me hesitate

Yes, Quetopia. I saw the Good One but I'm not at all familiar with them and it looked so odd I didn't even give it a second glance. How hard is it to use? I guess I'll have to start researching those. I also didn't know about Yoder's draft issues. Another thing for me to Google.

Thank you!

AKMIMNAK 04-26-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshw (Post 3987569)
I have a ys640 and Love it! I can't imagine you not liking a ys480, other than I think it would be too small for me. So I would really think about how much you cook at one time. I personally don't think there is that much difference in flavor, than a good stick burner, once you learn temps and play around with a smoke tube. I find that I cook a lot more often, just because it is so much less time consuming. If you are busy at all, I highly recommend the pellet. I know most people will disagree, but they probably haven't cooked on a Yoder. It's just so great to come home from work sthrow some food on, and go inside and relax while dinner is cooking.

Warranty is: 1-year on the igniter, 3-years on the control system and 10-years on the cooking body.

I have had mine since last September, with no issues at all. When they shipped it, they forgot to pack my 2 piece diffuser plate. I called them, they knew exactly who I was. Apologized, and said they would ship me one. When I got home from work the next day, it was sitting on my porch. They sent it overnight. I haven't needed to talk to them since.

That is a good deal on the Wichita, I would check on uship, and see what it would cost to get it shipped. If I could get a good deal, and had the time to use it. That would be
the way to go.

How much do you cook at time? He didn't have a 480 to show me, only 640s, but he said the 480 is three grates wide instead of 4 like the 640. It still looked plenty big to fit a brisket, and with two shelves, something else too. All I care about is being able to smoke a 16 lb brisket whole, or a similar size pork butt. Those are the largest cooks I ever do.

Lastly, how in the world do you get a smoke done between work and dinner? I'm jealous!

PnkPanther 04-26-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 3987581)
Yes, Quetopia. I saw the Good One but I'm not at all familiar with them and it looked so odd I didn't even give it a second glance. How hard is it to use? I guess I'll have to start researching those. I also didn't know about Yoder's draft issues. Another thing for me to Google.

Thank you!

They're extremely easy to use. They're charcoal smoker, basically set and forget. Quetopia owner uses the Marshall in competition

Joshw 04-26-2018 08:11 PM

I haven't seen a 480 in person, but I am sure you could do 2 briskets at least. When I cook, I try to cook for the freezer as well as to eat. It saves on time and fuel costs. I do a lot of meal prep, so that I have things ready to eat, and don't have to eat out.

As far as cooking after work, obviously not doing briskets. But you can do a chicken in an hour. You can do ribs in 5, makes for a late diner, but sometimes you want ribs. Then you have sausage, meatloaf, things like that. Also makes a great wood fired oven.
You would be amazed at how easy a pellet grill makes it.

Dweverett 04-26-2018 08:16 PM

I started to ask what it was that led you to sell the old smoker and then realized I'd probably seen the post in the sale section. You probably already have a pretty good sense of how much value you'd see in the ease of use of the pellet based on your offset experience. If you were out smoking every weekend, it might not be that difference. If it was a limitation based on your schedule you'll find pellet grills open up a new world.

In terms of the smoker you'd have to pick up, I don't know if you have a trailer hitch on any of your vehicles but uhaul doesn't charge mileage on their trailers so it would be pretty affordable to pick it up. Obviously it would kill a day to go get it.

$1500 and the capacity you are looking for has quite a few options. Lots of pellet grills in that range, many of the ceramics like the kamado joe, an assassin grill....

Actually, given your winters a ceramic might not be the worst choice in the world. A pellet grill will work too, just will go through more pellets but something like a BGE or KJ won't care at all.

SmittyJonz 04-26-2018 08:33 PM

Old Country Brazos (1/4") and Build a UDS or a 26" Weber Kettle....... :heh:

sudsandswine 04-26-2018 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK (Post 3987585)
How much do you cook at time? He didn't have a 480 to show me, only 640s, but he said the 480 is three grates wide instead of 4 like the 640. It still looked plenty big to fit a brisket, and with two shelves, something else too. All I care about is being able to smoke a 16 lb brisket whole, or a similar size pork butt. Those are the largest cooks I ever do.

Lastly, how in the world do you get a smoke done between work and dinner? I'm jealous!

:becky:

93_confirmed 04-26-2018 09:05 PM

How are you getting free delivery on the Yoder? :shock:

patrickd26 04-26-2018 09:08 PM

I have owned a Wichita, YS480, and now own a YS640. The Wichita and YSxxx are two completely different cookers. Do you want to maintain fires, or set-it and forget-it?

Let me share my experience. I ended up selling my Wichita because I couldn't get it to run efficiently without having the perfect wind blowing into the firebox. For me, that meant spinning the cooker into the wind. Yuck. I won't go into details, but I've read where maybe things weren't designed for the greatest airflow. I ended up getting a Horizon offset and it works as expected.

Cheyenne.... Too small!!!

The YS480 is just a mini tank. I really miss the one I sold, but I did sell so that I could get a YS640. The 480 was just part of the family and I miss it.

I, personally, would buy a cheap offset just to see if you like tending fires and to learn the "craft". If you're going to spend some extra dollars, then look no further than the Yoder. Can you buy a YS640 and a Lowe's offset? That would be a really nice setup.

AKMIMNAK 04-26-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PnkPanther (Post 3987590)
They're extremely easy to use. They're charcoal smoker, basically set and forget. Quetopia owner uses the Marshall in competition

Could I use actual wood instead of charcoal, like in a stick burner?

AKMIMNAK 04-26-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudsandswine (Post 3987605)
:becky:

Ha :) Yeah, yeah. I know.

AKMIMNAK 04-26-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93_confirmed (Post 3987613)
How are you getting free delivery on the Yoder? :shock:

The local dealer will deliver in our metro area for free. But I'm also paying full retail plus his shipping costs from Yoder, so in the long run, not sure how good a deal it is. I've never price shopped for Yoder's anywhere else. If anyone's familiar with typical Yoder prices from local dealers, I'd be interested in hearing how my local dealer compares.