• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

EUDS - Electric Ugly Drum Smoker

Marvin

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've been collecting the parts for this build for a few weeks now. I'm just getting started and will post more as the build progresses.

And the answer to the burning question, why electric, because it will be set and forget ... and that works for me. I know others will claim blasphemy and I'm sure from their viewpoint it is. However, this works for me. :thumb:

Disclaimer Notice:
In my prior career, I was an electrician, so doing this project does not present issues for me. However, if one follows what I've done, you do so at your own risk. If you do not know about electricity and wiring, please get someone to help you along in your endeavor. The life you save, may be your own. :wink:

Here is the barrel I located for $10.

001_zps631fa02c.png

The inside was unlined.

002_zpsa28fd78d.png

I'm guessing, it was a food barrel based on the label on it.

003_zps311fb15c.png

These are the lines to mark and drill for the stainless steel bolts.

004_zps4a5bb24c.png

Stainless steel nuts and bolts to hold the grates. Got the grates at Walmart for $12.

005_zpsa6eb3e2e.png

Stainless steel nuts and bolts mounted and grate sitting on them.

006_zps81053d24.png

Took one of the grates, turned upside down so the heating element can be mounted on.

007_zps4d7b016c.png

Put two bolts on the sides with no handles to keep the grate balanced when sitting on the bottom of the barrel.

008_zps0b2fa5a8.png

Here is the 220v/3000w oven bake element, similar to what you would find in your house oven, should be more than enough to keep things toasty. Got this off of Amazon for $12. The model information of the element: General Electric WB44X5043 Bake Element

010_zps0db2dd89.png

Set the heating element on the grate. I will use high heat wire to wrap around the element ends to keep it affixed to the grate.

011_zps91d26d5f.png

012_zps73648909.png

013_zps4fb1a653.png

That's about it for now. I'll post more pics in the coming days as the build progresses.

Cool build. The UDS is as set and forget as you could hope for already. Either way, if your feeling froggy take a leap. Are you going to use it 220v?

I am just curious how the smoke aspect comes in to play here. Do you put a little smoke wood chip box inside or what?

I am just curious how the smoke aspect comes in to play here. Do you put a little smoke wood chip box inside or what?

I was thinking the same. I am assuming he is going to put a chip box on top of the grate with the heating element?

thats pretty cool , not as portable as a UDS , set the thermo and walk away

As a father of 2 boys who play competitve baseball I can respect your need for a set and forget smoker. If not for a WSM and a Digi Q I would never have time to smoke anything.

You have entirely to much time on your hands to come up with this. My UDS is naturally aspirated it will run rock steady where I set it until it runs out of Fuel in 20 hrs. Guess what? If my power goes out my cook isn't interrupted or ruined. If this works for ya then I'm happy for you. Different strokes.....

MAKE SURE IT IS WELL GROUNDED and put it on a GFI

I am interested in seeing the final results. I still haven't completed my uds, but have been pondering building an electric version, just because. One problem I see for my use, most campgrounds don't supply 220 volts if I was to take it with me, nor are the campground breakers large enough to handle that wattage at 120 volts. What type controller are you going to use?

Would be interesting to see the fuel cost comparison in electricity consumed vs. charcoal cost...

While I applaud your outside the box approach, charcoal-fueled UDS's are already set and forget! And I'm with bluedawg on the power going out issue- Better have a generator handy so you don't ruin a cook!

Interested to see what your smoke producing setup will be. Good luck.

This looks like a great idea to me. Using an element like that your basically turning a UDS into an electric oven of sorts. Not sure where the smoking element will come into play here but I'm very interested in seeing this progress. Seems as this could potentially be used indoors as well since electric heat doesn't give off any toxins like charcoal or gas.

Nice setup!
My first smoker was an electric ECB. The heating element sat in a pan surrounded with lava rocks and wood chunks thrown on the lava rocks closest to the heating element. The setup smoked well, actually.

As for power outages, that was never an issue as we seldom have outages here. But I can see weather related outages occurring in other regions. That could be a concern for some.

I understand the issues ...

1) The power goes out

I live in Houston and have lived with hurricanes my whole life, Ike being the last. When one lives in an area that is prone to nature in this manner, one learns that you can be weeks without power (with Ike, we were without power for 7 weeks). This being the case, I have a generator for backup power. So if I lose power, the gen will fire up and keep things going until the grid comes back up.

Also, I'm not one to be wasteful but if I lose power, it's not the end of the world if I lose what I've got going on the smoker.

2) Where's the smoke ... this is a smoker right?

Simple answer ... what does one use when cold smoking?
Why of course, use a cold smoker. You can build a cold smoker and install or you buy one and install. For me, I'm doing enough building, I'll take the easy path and I'll purchase one. The Smoke Daddy will do the trick! :thumb:

I'm not sure if I'm violating forum rules, if I have, please forgive me and remove the link, here is the link to Smoke Daddy: http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm

smokedaddy_01_zps609556b7.png

smokedaddy_02_zps9a416071.png

Hope this answer the questions.

Cool build. The UDS is as set and forget as you could hope for already. Either way, if your feeling froggy take a leap. Are you going to use it 220v?

Yes, 220v. I got lucky, we had a spa on our patio for about 15 years. It was old and rotting and the wife was on my butt to get rid of it. Once it was gone, I had the 220v power laying around. This is why I decided on a 220v version, I'll do a 110v version on a 30 gal once I've completed this project.

023_zpsdb15e506.png

I am interested in seeing the final results. I still haven't completed my uds, but have been pondering building an electric version, just because. One problem I see for my use, most campgrounds don't supply 220 volts if I was to take it with me, nor are the campground breakers large enough to handle that wattage at 120 volts. What type controller are you going to use?

You are correct about the available power at camp grounds. I plan on doing a 30 gal version using 110v element once I've completed this project.

On the controller, I'm using a PID (proportional-integral-derivative) controller with an SSR. The one I purchased was from Auberins, model number: SYL-2352

I'll post more and pics on this in the near future.

Back