The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   would you still buy a Kamado (primo) if you had a weber performer and wsm (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174549)

coastal 11-03-2013 09:27 PM

would you still buy a Kamado (primo) if you had a weber performer and wsm

So I originally wanted a primo before I researched a lot and got a performer to go with cheap char griller smoker and weber gaser.

I Have become a very big weber guy and am searching for a WSM all the time and will get one soon.

I have recently became aware of a good primo oval Jr deal that I would have jumped all over a year or two ago but now I am wondering of I will use it with the toys I already have.

Thoughts?

Ron_L 11-03-2013 09:28 PM

Ummm...

Have you looked at the list of equipment in my signature?

:becky:

mrbill 11-03-2013 09:31 PM

w/o boring you w/my history, i'm currently all weber. imo-there is nothing the ceramics can do that a weber can't.

coastal 11-03-2013 09:31 PM

Let me rephrase. How do I convince the wife we can't live without it..

coastal 11-03-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbill (Post 2680323)
w/o boring you w/my history, i'm currently all weber. imo-there is nothing the ceramics can do that a weber can't.

That is really my hang up here. I wouldn't be smoking on the primo that much and my performer can do steaks, chicken, burgers, roasts as good as anything..

nucornhusker 11-03-2013 09:36 PM

With the Primo, you may not use your Weber's very much. I'd rather have one Primo than 2 or 3 Weber's personally.

Dirtbuddy 11-03-2013 09:43 PM

Since i got my Kamado Joe my WSM has been lonely. OTG still sees a fair amount of action for direct cooks.

thirtydaZe 11-03-2013 09:44 PM

I have a kamado, i only use it for smoking. Anything grilling goes directly to the performer. For what ever reason, i find grilling on my kamado a bit inconvienient.

mbshop 11-03-2013 09:48 PM

wouldn't hurt to have one. I was going to get a primo but realized that I can do all I want/need on my webers and also the fact that I just don't cook a lot.
I would never say no to someone who wants a ceramic cooker.

coastal 11-03-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe (Post 2680341)
I have a kamado, i only use it for smoking. Anything grilling goes directly to the performer. For what ever reason, i find grilling on my kamado a bit inconvienient.

interesting that the two with kettles also both say they use their webers more for direct cooks.. why is that? What is inconvienient about direct high heat on a ceramic? a pain to light and bring up to temp maybe?

MeatCandy 11-03-2013 10:09 PM

When I picked up my BigJoe...The Performer was gifted to a friend...

So the answer is... YES...:wink:

"What is inconvenient about direct high heat on a ceramic? a pain to light and bring up to temp maybe?" Maybe the lid is too heavy...:cry:

Smoothsmoke 11-03-2013 10:10 PM

The Primo Oval Jr is too small man. If you had the XL, then the Webers would get jealous.

nucornhusker 11-03-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastal (Post 2680357)
interesting that the two with kettles also both say they use their webers more for direct cooks.. why is that? What is inconvienient about direct high heat on a ceramic? a pain to light and bring up to temp maybe?

I have no idea. My Weber's collected dust once I got a Kamado last year. Heck, I sold my Performer when I got the KJ. As good as the kettles are, we just didn't feel that they added up to the KJ's performance for direct grilling or anything.

Hankdad1 11-03-2013 10:27 PM

"would you still buy a Kamado (primo) if you had a weber performer and wsm"

Yes.

I've Been a Weber man for a long time.
I bought my Akorn In April 2012. Because of it's design I feel comfortable using it on the composite deck outside of my kitchen. Along with a Maverick ET72 this is very convenient grilling and smoking. I would never have used my kettles or WSM on a wooden deck. They have not been used since I got the Akorn.(still have them, just haven't used them). 90 percent of my cooks are for just my wife and I.

sliding_billy 11-04-2013 02:14 AM

If you already had the WSM, it might be overkill IMO. Since you don't, get the Primo and then decide if you still need a WSM (or the Performer for that matter).