The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Korean Style Grilled Beef ~ Not Bulgogi (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89629)

thirdeye 08-01-2010 10:07 PM

Korean Style Grilled Beef ~ Not Bulgogi

I have a favorite bulgogi style marinade, and it seems that every time I post about it, I'm doing some big short ribs, a rack of lamb or a slab of beef. Then I get reminded that the true bulgogi is thinly sliced beef. Heck, even Yung, my buddies wife scolds me for not being traditional....Okay once again I find myself on the thick side, so this time I'm just going to call it Korean style and leave it at that.

Philly-QueMaster 08-01-2010 10:14 PM

Looks awesome. We have some Korean friends who made us some korean BBQ and it was amazing. Mind sharing your marinade recipe?

thirdeye 08-01-2010 10:40 PM

I’m not a big Teriyaki fan and the amounts of onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper keep this marinade out of that neighborhood…. I prefer the 1/3 cup of soy sauce, and when you sample the finished marinade add more water if it seems too strong for you. Depending on how strong my garlic is, I may go heavier than the 1T.

Marinade times are from a few hours for thin beef and up to 24 to 30 hours for thick (3/4” – 1”) strips. For 1/2” thick beef I go at least overnight. Good on lamb and chicken too.

Korean Bulgogi Marinade –

1/3 to 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine (or dry sherry)
1/4 cup water
4 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic (at least)
1 - 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger (or ginger paste, or cracked ginger)
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon dark (Asian) sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp toasted, crushed sesame seeds (we have these in a jar or you can fresh toast them)

keale 08-02-2010 01:15 AM

That sir, looks amazing! Korean BBQ! We have those restaurants all over the place here... good stuff... where's the sticky white rice?

SmokeJumper 08-02-2010 04:37 AM

Awesome looking Korean-style beef. I'll be trying your recipe with the thick beef cuts.

Garyclaw 08-02-2010 07:04 AM

Man that looks good Thirdeye! Got me hungry for beef tonight!

Johnny_Crunch 08-02-2010 07:37 AM

looks awesome, thanks for the recipe!

Big George's BBQ 08-02-2010 08:49 AM

That looks awesome Will have to try this Thanks Is this also on your site Wayne

thirdeye 08-02-2010 09:53 AM

No, but it's on the list to be added.

Although it does disguise the flavor, it's a good marinade for grilled lamb if not everyone likes the natural lamb flavor. Especially suited for thin beef ribs, like chuck ribs....I also like it on short ribs, and these need to be marinated a couple of days and cooked slow enough to cook the ribs tender.

And keale, here's the sticky rice. :thumb:

Ross in Ventura 08-02-2010 10:14 AM

Great looking Short Rids Wayne, thanks for the recipe:clap2:

Ross
http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/

thirdeye 08-02-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross in Ventura (Post 1355903)
Great looking Short Rids Wayne, thanks for the recipe:clap2:

Ross

Ross, I got the base recipe from Dobie Dad, (who recommended it for short ribs) and over the years have tweaked it by reducing the soy sauce a hair, using rice wine and adding more garlic. I really need to try it on some thin strips of beef.

PORK RUBBER 08-02-2010 10:19 AM

I've used this recipe (or close to it ) a few times. I love it. Only thing is that if you marinated smaller pieces of beef for more than 30 or so hours it will break down the meat and fats and turn mealy. I used sirlion that time and a nice fatty "rib loin end tips, southern style" on a skewer and it was really fantastic. :-D

wlh3 08-02-2010 10:58 AM

Great looking plate of beef Wayne. I love Korean style marinades on everything. My favorite is pork steaks.
Thanks for the recipe. Will be using this one soon:clap2:

chambersuac 08-02-2010 11:49 AM

BEEEEuuuutiful!

landarc 08-02-2010 12:04 PM

Nice job Thirdeye, it looks really good to me. That marinade is not so far from my teriyaki marinade.