Cutting drum lid for a UDS

R

Rowdycue

This may have been covered in the UDS thread but I don't have time to read it all. I will soon build one and will have to cut the top off. My question is if I don't choose to buy a dome lid would I be able to get a good enough seal on the lid if I cut it under the rim and just put that lid back on? I haven't done much cutting of metal but have a scrolling saw I can use for the job. I just don't know how tight the lid would have to fit or if it would be better to cut the top off inside the rim and make a lid out of something else-maybe plywood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My first UDS has the weber lid. Second will use a donor drum that will be cut at the first rib...I hope this will sit on top of the main drum and seal tight enough to work. Someone on the UDS thread has already done it this way.
Make time to read the entire thread. Its worth it.

I can say that time spent reading the UDS thread will pay off in time and $ saved while building your smoker.

Good luck!

David

This may have been covered in the UDS thread but I don't have time to read it all. I will soon build one and will have to cut the top off. My question is if I don't choose to buy a dome lid would I be able to get a good enough seal on the lid if I cut it under the rim and just put that lid back on? I haven't done much cutting of metal but have a scrolling saw I can use for the job. I just don't know how tight the lid would have to fit or if it would be better to cut the top off inside the rim and make a lid out of something else-maybe plywood. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was unable to get the closed drum to separate from the lip. I had to use a weber lid. But I thought the same thing. I had hoped to find a drum de-header that would seperate the lid, but couldn't find one. But you do need a tight seal.

I can say that time spent reading the UDS thread will pay off in time and $ saved while building your smoker.

Good luck!

David

Personally, the 3230 posts on 216 pages in that thread is a bit much. Someone needs to dig through that and get the info out. There are bad links and missing pictures now.

Back