• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So, what about meat glue?

B

bo_gator

I was reading the other day in a BBQ book that mentioned using meat glue to keep the skin in place on chicken thighs. I was wondering what the consensus among the Brethren was on this subject.

If that is the edge you want, then go for it. It won't make a difference in taste. And with so many judges focused on bite and tender skin that stays on the thigh, it isn't bad thinking.

At $12.99 an ounce, it's not exactly the cheapest option.

A little goes a LONG way... and it stores well in the freezer. I have used it on chicken. You have to scrape the fat off of the skin before it will work - only adheres meat to skin where there isn't any fat. Tedious and messy work, but it gets the job done.

I do a lot of Jerky.
My neighbor brings me a WHOLE deer-- Yikes :oops::oops:
Mostly big cuts, but lots of bits and pieces.

So--I can"glue" them together and wind up with some killer slices of Jerky.

I am"SO OK" with that 8)

Good Eats.

TIM

Out of the wicked good BBQ book I take it.
Activa rm... Well what's to say, it works great. I have used it a few times, but since I don't do kcbs comps I quit using it. It also works great for bacon wrapped stuff. After a grand champ win last year out of 108 we were certain we were going to the royal invitational. We chickened out at the last minute after we found out how much it was gonna cost for the round trip including upgraded sites. The one and only practice I did for kcbs with scraped skin and activa (meat glue). That skin wasn't coming off!!
56D467B0-BB4F-459F-816C-EFAC9D98296B-2640-000003B7DDBC8385.jpg

After all that trimming, deboning, skin removal, skin scraping, meat glue through a strainer, cleanup, building a stupid presentation box of parsley with the worlds stickiest BBQ sauce (dumb idea), dipping the chicken in the sauce, setting the sauce, spritzing with apple juice before turn in, I decided I would never do it again, kcbs is not for me. To me it just ain't BBQ

Back