The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   BBQ Pitmasters- Kentucky episode (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151963)

georgiasmoke 01-20-2013 08:29 PM

BBQ Pitmasters- Kentucky episode

I am only 10 mins into this episode and it is absolutely HORRIBLE. These guy's have no idea what's going on. If you don't even have your own pit besides what is in your restaurant, why even apply to be on the show? I really wish they would go back to Season 1 format.

Pappy Q 01-20-2013 08:31 PM

I assure you they are not the best in KY

indianagriller 01-20-2013 08:42 PM

The World Champ isn't there

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Podge 01-21-2013 09:38 AM

If you really put the best on there, the show would be boring. Everyone would have their s$%T together, no issues, and how fun would that be to watch? Wouldn't have pits spike to 550, and no bananas in BBQ sauce.

Scottie 01-21-2013 10:31 AM

I thought you used bananas, Podge?

bruno994 01-21-2013 10:41 AM

Agreed, this was the worst episode of this season. Some of the restaurant teams they have had on did well and put out a great product, but I would much rather a return to Season 1 or at the very least, back to Season 3 featuring one well know team with two lesser knowns competing. The Kansas City episode this season was my fav, as Rod knocked it out of the park, both with the food and his scenes.

Shiz-Nit 01-21-2013 11:51 AM

I am from Kentucky and this did not represent us well at all in my eyes. there are WAY BETTER Teams out there indeed. I for one can name off several home state teams that would represent better. Some right here on this forum and some I have cook against.

TheJackal 01-21-2013 02:06 PM

Worst episode ever.

My wife actually watched a bit of the episode with me. I said to her "See honey? That's why I spend so much time practicing and going to competitions. I'm striving to be just like that guy from Still Smokin'."

And thne she looked at me like :crazy::bolt:

rib runners 01-21-2013 02:14 PM

Kentucky is a multi bbq flavored state. I think Pitmasters idea was wrong with billing it "Kentucky" bbq. Billing it as Owensboro bbq would have worked better. Pitmasters played to that, but they referred to it as Kentucky bbq.
It seems that Pitmasters this season is playing alittle more to the resturant side rather than bbq teams that compete.

Looks like Pitmasters is trying to bring everyone to the table.

Ron

Podge 01-21-2013 02:43 PM

While trying to get on this episode of Pitmasters, I've done some research. There is only 4 BBQ joints in the entire State that serves mutton, and 3 of them were on the show. There are SEVERAL!!! BBQ joints in Kentucky that serve pork, ribs, brisket, chicken, etc. and do a damn good job of it!!. It's a shame that Kentucky is seen by the nation as a mutton BBQ state. Last night's episode only shown that very small part of BBQ in Kentucky. Even though Kentucky does not have it's own version of pig/cow/chicken BBQ, it does bring together the best of the neighboring regions.

I had been inspired to be a BBQ'er back in the day eating ribs and pork from local joints, not mutton.

Since season 1 of pitmasters, Competition BBQ took off more for our state, but I do not see last night's episode inspiring new cooks to come out and compete.

Alexa RnQ 01-21-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Podge (Post 2336595)
It's a shame that Kentucky is seen by the nation as a mutton BBQ state.

Baaa-aaa-aaa-beque. http://www.divaherself.com/sheepdrinkingkoolaid.gif

cdkeach 01-21-2013 03:12 PM

I'm stumped with where this season has gone versus the indications that were given when they started looking for teams.

As I recall, when they asked for teams to submit bios and videos for consideration, they specifically stated 2-person teams that were actively competing in the state targeted.

Now we see numerous restauranteurs who clearly aren't active on the competition circuit. Even more annoying is that they asked for 2-person teams and haven't presented any as such. The 2-person stipulation, in play again for the next season, made some sense to me if you were looking for the dynamic of two pitmasters who interacted with each other and could provide some entertainment value. Instead we see a single pitmaster with a helper that may or may not even be introduced on camera. No interaction and effectively no team. Just a head pitmaster and quiet sidekick.

Do they really know what they're looking for as they consider team applications or are the producers just flying by the seats of their pants?

The_Kapn 01-21-2013 04:46 PM

I just watched it and actually learned some stuff.

I have never cooked, eaten, or even seen Mutton! :redface:
Pretty Interesting and informative.

To me, this is all "entertainment" and I can just not get concerned about the small chit!

I have watched the Internet comments about this series and other shows and I do not think any Producer could ever come close to pleasing those of us who are "deeply involved experts" in BBQ, and "outspoken"! :icon_pissed

It is good for BBQ in general and I think that is a good thing for all of us, at least in my opinion.

I am ready for next season.

TIM

rgrizzle 01-21-2013 06:10 PM

like a lot of these guys on this thread I am from Ironton Ohio which is just across the river from Kentucky, I grew up on the little sandy river in Greenup Co. Kentucky and this episode did not give a good reperesentation of Kentuck Q. A lot of vinegar based sauce little rub. Here in this area it is more sweeter sauces with some spice, and good rubs. This episode sucked!

Fat Freddy 01-21-2013 06:18 PM

A show about Q'ing Mutton is still better than a bunch of shows out there.