The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why are some so defensive about their region of Q? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133364)

Bamabuzzard 05-18-2012 10:08 AM

Why are some so defensive about their region of Q?

I smoked some ribs for a friend of mine for a family cookout of about 20 people. He wanted me to do ribs and He'd do some hotdogs and burgers "onsite" for those who didn't eat ribs (there were a lot of younger kids coming).

He came and picked up the ribs and earlier this week called me and said one of his wife's relatives wanted me to smoke him some ribs because he liked them so much. So I told him to give the guy my # and when he's ready to give me a call or email or whatever. So the guy gives me a call (almost immediately) and I smoke him two slabs and he comes by to pick them up yesterday evening. Got to talking with him and realized that he wasn't really a guy who cooked bbq but loved to eat it. He's born and raised in Texas and he asked me where I was originally from. I told him Mississippi. He asked if I did a lot of chopped beef sammiches and I told him not really because I prefer pulled pork sammiches. He looked at me like I just put a turd in his mouth. :sick: He was like "Oh my god you're kidding me?" I was like "Nooo, I'm not kidding. The further east you go from here the more you see pork and the less you see of beef BBQ." I asked him if he'd ever tried a pulled pork sammy and he said "No and don't want to. That doesn't even sound good." I told him it was pork, just like those ribs he liked so much that he wanted me to smoke for him and that I had some in the fridge I could heat up if he wanted to try it. He absolutely refused to try it and continued on to tell me that "chopped beef" was the "real bbq sammich" not pork. But I asked him "How do you know if you like or don't like something that you've never even tasted?" He just responded "Texas folks don't eat that stuff. Beef is BBQ around here."

So I let it go and asked him for my money to cover my cost in the meat and supplies to do his ribs, and sent him on his way. I just don't get the "regional" loyalty when it comes to bbq, especially to the point of boycotting even trying something from another region. The more I cook for different folks and the more I talk to different folks from different regions the more I see of this. Hell, it's food for crying out loud not your mother's reputation. :crazy:

Lake Dogs 05-18-2012 10:11 AM

LOL. It happens...

ddweatherholtz 05-18-2012 10:12 AM

LOL, where im from it is all good!

deguerre 05-18-2012 10:13 AM

Doesn't matter where this guy was from. He could've been born in Michigan and still be a closed minded idiot.

deguerre 05-18-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Dogs (Post 2058412)
LOL. It happens...

He probably thinks chicken is BBQ too...:becky:

jimithing78 05-18-2012 10:16 AM

It's what we're taught here in Texas. BBQ is beef. Don't screw with it. Ribs are ok too but they're kinda like a side item. And so it's just what we're used to.

I used to travel a lot in my last job so when I went to a predominantly pork area of the country I wasn't sure how to order when I went in to a BBQ joint. I tried a few different things, even went to places known for their pulled pork and it just has nothing on a good chopped beef sammich. Or sliced beef sammich.

Edit: But I did at least try it for the sake of trying it. I like BBQ and if there's better BBQ out there than what I already know about then I want to try it and see for myself.

hamiltont 05-18-2012 10:18 AM

Well, there are people like that in this world. Those who are so set in their ways they can't take a chit unless it's the right time of the day. When I encounter one of 'em I just tidy up the conversation real quick like and move on. Crazy isn't it. They miss out on so much "life" has to offer.... Cheers!!!

caseydog 05-18-2012 10:19 AM

Half the people in the Dallas area are not from Texas, so we eat a variety of BBQ. Brisket is the "specialty" of Texas BBQ, and chopped beef is common (although I prefer a sliced brisket sammie).

CD

1FUNVET 05-18-2012 10:25 AM

Texas- nuff said.:becky:

Bamabuzzard 05-18-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimithing78 (Post 2058421)
It's what we're taught here in Texas. BBQ is beef. Don't screw with it. Ribs are ok too but they're kinda like a side item. And so it's just what we're used to.

I used to travel a lot in my last job so when I went to a predominantly pork area of the country I wasn't sure how to order when I went in to a BBQ joint. I tried a few different things, even went to places known for their pulled pork and it just has nothing on a good chopped beef sammich. Or sliced beef sammich.

Edit: But I did at least try it for the sake of trying it. I like BBQ and if there's better BBQ out there than what I already know about then I want to try it and see for myself.

Good for you, at least you tried it. :clap: I'm the same way brutha, if there's better Q then I want to eats me sum, no matter where it's from. I had the reverse experience of yours. We moved to Northwest Louisiana from Mississippi and went from seeing pulled pork sammies to chopped beef sammies. I tried chopped beef sammies, will eat them, but prefer a pulled pork sammy all day long over it. But that's my preference. Both are good but I prefer a pulled pork sammy. But I dang sure ain't gonna get defensive about it. :boxing:

teej 05-18-2012 10:32 AM

I really can't believe that guy. I mean come on, everyone knows pork is BBQ. :roll:

Seriously though, I'll eat BBQ Beef and usually try it when I go to a new place, but mostly, I don't care for it much.

gtr 05-18-2012 10:37 AM

Some folks take pride in being narrow minded. I get not liking certain foods - that's obvious, but not even trying something new is kind of ridiculous.

I grew up thinking BBQ meant pulled pork and nothing else - I didn't feel strongly about it, I just didn't know there was anything else - then I moved to TX for a few years and discovered brisket, beef ribs and Elgin sausage and whatnot, and holy chit I'm glad I did. I would have missed out on so much great grub if I had been stuck in my ways. Pork BBQ is home for me, but I do loves me some beef. :thumb:

Stacks 05-18-2012 10:38 AM

Hhmmph... Beef Sammy... Doesn't he know how hard it is to pull a brisket flat?
If we all had that kind of regional bias, there would be no ABT's, Moinks, Fatties, chicken lolipops!! Now I'm not only hungry, I fear for the future of the free world!

Panthers65 05-18-2012 10:41 AM

The guy doesn't know enough about Q to cook his own ribs, but knows enough to tel you what is Q and what isn't. I can understand having pride in your city/state/region, and you typically do prefer the stuff you were raised on, but to have a view like that is dumb IMO.

Meatists are ignorant. (Yes that's like being racist, just with meat...) lol

Ryan Chester 05-18-2012 10:45 AM

That's funny as hell. I get so many people asking me what style of Q I prefer and what style I will serve at my new restaurant. My response is, I could care less about style, I just like GOOD BBQ. I will serve GOOD BBQ.