The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Modifying a Drum top for a Weber lid - Help (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119437)

JMSetzler 11-01-2011 09:08 PM

Modifying a Drum top for a Weber lid - Help

I'm gonna build another UDS and I want to make sure I can fit the weber lid on this one. I do NOT want to work from the bottom of the drum. I'd rather work with the top lip. I saw somewhere here where someone had cut the top off a drum and then notched that ring and re-inserted it back into the top of the drum to make a smaller diameter on the lip where the kettle lid would fit. Anyone know where I can re-locate that information? I searched several parameters and never could find it.

Big Bears BBQ 11-01-2011 09:12 PM

I'm getting ready to make an UDS also and I was thinking the Weber lid would fit right on the drum........ yes or no ,,,,,,,,,

JMSetzler 11-01-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ (Post 1837155)
I'm getting ready to make an UDS also and I was thinking the Weber lid would fit right on the drum........ yes or no ,,,,,,,,,

If you can find the right drum it will fit. I have not been able to locate a drum that is the right diameter for the Weber lid. Everything I have come across so far is slightly too large.

devious 11-01-2011 09:19 PM

well this is what i did and it works pretty good. I cut the bottom of a weber kettle 2" down form the lip. and then i just put it in my drum. i did put some stove gasket around the lip before i set it in place. and just to make sure it didnt pop out I used some self tapping screws to hold it in place. hope that helps. I think that thread in burried dead inside the UDS thread so good luck.:-P

NorthwestBBQ 11-01-2011 09:22 PM

You mean Swamprb's UDS Flange Mod:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...90&postcount=7

devious 11-01-2011 09:24 PM

well looky there.:clap2:

bbqbull 11-01-2011 09:24 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...uds+weber+dome

I did a search, been reading a lot. Hope this helps.

Big Bears BBQ 11-01-2011 09:35 PM

Micheal thanks for the info ..

Callahan-que 11-01-2011 09:42 PM

I have a closed top drum with the lid cut off and a weber kettle lid fits it like a glove. I would suggest you take your lid with you when looking for a drum, no need to modify the drum or the lid.

NorthwestBBQ 11-01-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bears BBQ (Post 1837180)
Micheal thanks for the info ..

No problem MI bro.

NorthwestBBQ 11-01-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'ville Grill (Post 1837197)
I have a closed top drum with the lid cut off and a weber kettle lid fits it like a glove. I would suggest you take your lid with you when looking for a drum, no need to modify the drum or the lid.

That is correct. All drums are not created equal.

Big Bears BBQ 11-01-2011 09:45 PM

Good idea.......

Mornin' Wood 11-01-2011 09:47 PM

I am just beginning my UDS and this is what I found--

My Weber lid fits Perfectly on the bottom, and I mean perfectly. But the top of the drum is just a bit too big for the lid to fit. Seems like the common finding.

But-- as I have looked closely, the top and the bottom appear to be the same-- except that the lip on the bottom is rolled more tightly than the lip on top. The bottom lip is rolled out so it tucks tightly against the side of the drum, but the top lip is not rolled as tightly, thus leaving a small gap between the lip and the drum wall.

Couldn't one just use a tool, ie slip-joint pliers or large vise grips of something, and pinch the top lip more tightly to the drum? Do it little by little, working your way around the drum? Small bites, as to not leave big marks, and to not overshoot?

Has this been tried with success (or failure)?

colonel00 11-01-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mornin' Wood (Post 1837204)
I am just beginning my UDS and this is what I found--

My Weber lid fits Perfectly on the bottom, and I mean perfectly. But the top of the drum is just a bit too big for the lid to fit. Seems like the common finding.

But-- as I have looked closely, the top and the bottom appear to be the same-- except that the lip on the bottom is rolled more tightly than the lip on top. The bottom lip is rolled out so it tucks tightly against the side of the drum, but the top lip is not rolled as tightly, thus leaving a small gap between the lip and the drum wall.

Couldn't one just use a tool, ie slip-joint pliers or large vise grips of something, and pinch the top lip more tightly to the drum? Do it little by little, working your way around the drum? Small bites, as to not leave big marks, and to not overshoot?

Has this been tried with success (or failure)?

Why all the fight if it fits the bottom perfectly? Just flip it over. If it is an open top drum, the open top is now the bottom and you can rig it to open for easy cleaning.

Mornin' Wood 11-01-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 1837210)
Why all the fight if it fits the bottom perfectly? Just flip it over. If it is an open top drum, the open top is now the bottom and you can rig it to open for easy cleaning.

I WILL be flipping mine, as I agree, it'll be easier. And I have a nice lid with a band. So I'll just cut the bottom out and smoothe it with a grinder.

I was just trying to help out the OP. And I had thought about it myself.