The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WSM Vents (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160550)

charrederhead 05-10-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantomlord (Post 2476454)
I have a hard time getting mine much higher than 325° What's your setup? Empty foiled water pan? Clay saucer? Using lump or briqs? How do you set up and start your fire?

My setup-

-Empty foiled water pan.
-No saucer.
-All lump, 3/4 lit chimney.

Target temp is aimed for by the timing of the closing down of the bottom vents. i.e., the higher the target, the longer I leave the intakes open full (w/ variables like ambient temp/wind considered).

This is my basic approach to every WSM cook.

fantomlord 05-10-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charrederhead (Post 2476473)
My setup-

-Empty foiled water pan.
-No saucer.
-All lump, 3/4 lit chimney.

Target temp is aimed for by the timing of the closing down of the bottom vents. i.e., the higher the target, the longer I leave the intakes open full (w/ variables like ambient temp/wind considered).

This is my basic approach to every WSM cook.

That's my general approach--how much I fill the chimney varies a bit depending on how hot I want to go. Even so, I've had trouble getting the temps up past 300. Of course, I've only had my WSM since the fall, and the bulk of my use has been during the winter, so we'll just have to see...

midwest_kc 05-10-2013 10:35 AM

Hmmm...on my 18", I use water, all 3 vents closed, and I settle in right about 240-250.

midwest_kc 05-10-2013 10:36 AM

Oh, I usually start with a full chimney for this. I still can get 12-15 hours out of a load, depending on the weather.

Carbon 05-10-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Campbell (Post 2476393)
Sorry, need more info
Lump, 12 lit KBB Briqs on top. I can get it to 275 but it settles at 250. Water pan with foil on the inside and a pizza stone laid inside. I can keep this temp fairly well, It seems everyone else can keep this 250ish with most of their vents closed.

How about experimenting with more lit coals in the beginning? It seems like your coals are not lighting effectively even with your vents wide open.

Tim Campbell 05-10-2013 07:25 PM

I will try more coals. That just seems like it will make the load burn quicker. I am trying to figure out how people get 12 hour burns out of lump

charrederhead 05-10-2013 07:32 PM

What is the reason to start w/ briqs?

"Smothering" the fire adds to length of burn. So, all lump + bigger chimney + cracked intakes = long, hot burn.

Tim Campbell 05-11-2013 08:01 AM

I start with Briqs because they are easier to light in a chimney. I had been using crap lump and most of it would just fall through. Wicked Good is bigger but I still think it is easier to light KBB and put it on the lump

BobM 05-14-2013 04:18 PM

I fill up my charcoal ring to the top with fuel.
I light it in 3 places with a high output propane torch.
I let it burn for about 10 - 15 minutes before putting the cooker together.
I always leave the top vent fully open, unless I have a temperature problem.
I start with the 3 bottom vents fully open, and close them off as I approach my target temperature. Most cooks have 2 fully closed, and the 3rd about 1/4 - 1/2 open.
I do not use water. I was using a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan, now I just foil the water pan.
If I use lump and let her rip, both my WSMs will go up to 375F or so.
A WSM dome thermometer tends to read about 50F lower than the actual temperature at the top grate.
Good luck.

Gasket 05-14-2013 04:34 PM

I'm running my 22.5 right now. 3 racks of baby's on the top, a pan of baked beans on the bottom. I'm using all RO lump,. full ring, foiled water pan dry. I have one bottom vent open and I'm running at 300. I'd like to be at 275, but I closed the vents a little to late. It's also pretty chilly here today only 45.

Brian in Maine 05-14-2013 06:50 PM

Is there enough room on the grates for proper air flow. I've had 2 times when I had a tough time keeping the temp up. one was due to high winds, and the other was due to too much food in the cooker.

buttburnersbbq 05-14-2013 07:40 PM

Don't rely on the temp gauge you get with the smoker. I have 2 WSM and either one of the temp gauges you get with the smoker work properly. Get a electronic thermometer and check out. Alo like everyone else said if you put water in the pan temp will go down.

NickTheGreat 05-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttburnersbbq (Post 2481128)
Don't rely on the temp gauge you get with the smoker. I have 2 WSM and either one of the temp gauges you get with the smoker work properly. Get a electronic thermometer and check out. Alo like everyone else said if you put water in the pan temp will go down.

I think it's accurate, it's just not at the grate level. But yeah, don't rely on that to be your cooking temp.

Porcine Perfection 05-15-2013 09:29 AM

What and how much of it were you cooking?