trailer insurance

You looking for liability for catering to or just your trailer and property in/on it?

I am checking with Foremost Insurance Company through my Farmers Agent and I am waiting for the quote back. Will let you know the cost.

I know utility trailers are covered under your auto policy and need no separate insurance on their own. That's one of their chief selling points. Larger trailers, talk to your agent.

I know utility trailers are covered under your auto policy and need no separate insurance on their own. That's one of their chief selling points. Larger trailers, talk to your agent.

you better double check with your insurance agent. I was under the same impression and was told that mine was, until...... after the wreck, they told me that it was only covered with liability only while it was hooked to the truck, and that there was a clause that excluded it from anything else. Needless to say, we have had a few words.

Do NOT take it for granted that your trailer is covered, if they say it is, make sure it is in writing, it HAS to be added to your policy just like another vehicle to be covered. I lost everything on that one, over $4500 worth of trailer, upgrades, and contents.

Do NOT take it for granted that your trailer is covered, if they say it is, make sure it is in writing, it HAS to be added to your policy just like another vehicle to be covered. I lost everything on that one, over $4500 worth of trailer, upgrades, and contents.

My Allied agent told me that my fifth wheel would be covered on my regular auto policy, but after some more questioning he admited that it would only be covered while it was hooked to the truck. Obviously that dog don't hunt! To add the trailer to my policy costs me a total of $15 per month - well worth the cost in my opinion.

Ask lots of questions. I think that the insurance companies really don't want the trailer bussiness - not enough profit for them.

you better double check with your insurance agent. I was under the same impression and was told that mine was, until...... after the wreck, they told me that it was only covered with liability only while it was hooked to the truck, and that there was a clause that excluded it from anything else. Needless to say, we have had a few words.

That is too bad that the agent did not inform you of that. The fact is there is limited coverage for an actual trailer under your auto (outside of liability) and your home owners if there is coverage it is very minimal couple hundred bucks. My travel trailer is endorsed on my auto and similar to what Dave said it is cheap. I am looking at a new comp trailer and was hoping that I could include contents on it. They have advised that it is the trailer itself and the smoker and other contents is covered under my home insurance. Since my back ground was in claims I made a few calls and they said it would be covered from the trailer for theft however there would be question of coverage for the contents if damaged in an accident. Here is why. Contents is named peril on most homeowners policies. If you were in a one car accident ran off the road lets say and damaged the trailer. The trailer is covered under the endorsement but the contents is not covered as it was not damaged by a named peril. The closest peril would be vehicle the the cause of loss is not due to a vehicle so it would be excluded. That is just one example so make sure you ask questions. But if you were hit by another vehicle, it was stolen, a fire occured etc then you would be covered.

Foremost is a specialty insurer that has a very good stand a lone policy better than the endorsement on your auto but is not for everyone.

My Allied agent told me that my fifth wheel would be covered on my regular auto policy, but after some more questioning he admited that it would only be covered while it was hooked to the truck. Obviously that dog don't hunt! To add the trailer to my policy costs me a total of $15 per month - well worth the cost in my opinion.

Ask lots of questions. I think that the insurance companies really don't want the trailer bussiness - not enough profit for them.

That is basically what they told me, while it was hooked to the truck. Well, after the fact, they had insomnia..... and after 2 1/2 yrs, they wanted to know who I talked with...... hello, after that length of time, I am suppose to remember who I talked with about that????? And after you have gone through how many people in the office???? And when I mentioned errors and omissions, he all he could say was, "who did you talk with?", I need to know.... that was abt a month ago and he was to call me back.... time to look for another agent I think.

Now after the fact, I have learned a LOT, and I am only trying to inform others of the fact and to get their insurance checked for their trailers, whether enclosed, travel or otherwise..... everyone needs to check, double check, and be specific with their agent.

Thanks for that info, some more good things to check on and remember. Agents, I have found out will tell you one thing on the phone to get you off, and then when you need something like this, they can't remember anything and have no details of it..... check, double check, and make sure it is in writing..... read the exclusions on your policy closely. I still have NOT found the exclusions they say is on mine..... time to go visit my agent face to face......

That is too bad that the agent did not inform you of that. The fact is there is limited coverage for an actual trailer under your auto (outside of liability) and your home owners if there is coverage it is very minimal couple hundred bucks. My travel trailer is endorsed on my auto and similar to what Dave said it is cheap. I am looking at a new comp trailer and was hoping that I could include contents on it. They have advised that it is the trailer itself and the smoker and other contents is covered under my home insurance. Since my back ground was in claims I made a few calls and they said it would be covered from the trailer for theft however there would be question of coverage for the contents if damaged in an accident. Here is why. Contents is named peril on most homeowners policies. If you were in a one car accident ran off the road lets say and damaged the trailer. The trailer is covered under the endorsement but the contents is not covered as it was not damaged by a named peril. The closest peril would be vehicle the the cause of loss is not due to a vehicle so it would be excluded. That is just one example so make sure you ask questions. But if you were hit by another vehicle, it was stolen, a fire occured etc then you would be covered.

Foremost is a specialty insurer that has a very good stand a lone policy better than the endorsement on your auto but is not for everyone.

My auto broker was able to cover my trailer for property coverage. It was cheap. Covers all of my equipment moving or not,even theft while in storage, etc. If you need help finding coverage, pm me.

Thanks for every one's help. Went to foremost which covers my motorcycle and they said they would cover it. My auto insurance only covers liability and they said go elsewhere for collision and theft. Go figure.

I'm having a real hard time in New Jersey looking to cover my trailer with insurance. My current auto company won't cover it and I've checked with 3 other carriers and they won't cover it either. We don't even get as far as checking my record, they just don't want to be bothered.

I'm thinking about starting a LLC, but nobody wants to cover with commercial insurance sombody who is just starting out.

I just don't undersatand it... trying to do things the "right" way and nobody wants to give me the time of day.

I'm open for suggestions myself if anybody has any...

I'm having a real hard time in New Jersey looking to cover my trailer with insurance. My current auto company won't cover it and I've checked with 3 other carriers and they won't cover it either. We don't even get as far as checking my record, they just don't want to be bothered.

I'm thinking about starting a LLC, but nobody wants to cover with commercial insurance sombody who is just starting out.

I just don't undersatand it... trying to do things the "right" way and nobody wants to give me the time of day.

I'm open for suggestions myself if anybody has any...

Foremost insurance company will cover the trailer itself. They will not cover the contents as that would be covered by your homeowners insurance. You can get a quote from www.foremost.com

We have commercial insurance through Cameron Insurance. It covers my truck and trailer and inland marine for contents. We also have a million dollar general liability.

I forgot to add that they would not just do the trailer we had to put my truck and our other car on the policy. We almost had to switch our house insurance to them.

Back