The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My first Tri-Tip effort (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166534)

knightrw1110 07-22-2013 11:28 AM

My first Tri-Tip effort

Hi folks, this is my first posting on this forum although I've been observing for awhile now. Just wanted to share with the brethren my first Tri-tip experience. First of all, they're kinda hard to come by in Ocean County, New Jersey. Well, hard to come by in that I wasn't able to walk into my local grocery store or butcher and buy a tri-tip. I ended up ordering some from the packer that my agency uses to supply our meat. They didn't give me a full tri-tip, but I think actually cut one in two and shrink wrapped it that way. Anyway, I dry rubbed it the morning of the cook using equal parts kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley flakes, and paprika. I put it back in the fridge and then about an hour before grill time pulled it out and let it warm up to room temp. I grilled both pieces indirect after initial searing over fairly high heat coals. I flipped often and pulled both pieces when the internal temp got to about 135*. I let the beef rest for 15 minutes and then cut. The results were fabulous. I got lots of complements and all the dinner guests wanted to know what this cut of meat was. I told em it was a London Broil. Hehehe...At 5.49 per lb., I don't want the word getting out on what this cut of meat is. Today I ordered a 6 pack of them from a butcher I have near me that said they can get it. I hope my secret's safe with him.

bbqgeekess 07-22-2013 01:07 PM

Awesome, glad it turned out so well for you! :) I got two in the freezer right now :)

landarc 07-22-2013 01:35 PM

It's a little late to prevent word from getting out. That seems to have left the slip already. Glad you have a good cook

knightrw1110 07-22-2013 05:10 PM

Apparently here in NJ the tri-tip still hasn't caught on.

garzanium 07-22-2013 10:01 PM

haha,hooked! I like the fact it doesnt take long to cook and taste good. I still prefer brisket for the cost:-D

Stark-O-Rama 07-22-2013 10:15 PM

Ahhhh.....Tri-Tip was my first love. I was so enamored with it that I threw away my gas grill and bought a Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters Grill. Santa Maria, California is where the whole thing started. If you've never seen a SM Grill, google it. I have probably cooked well over 1,000 lbs of Tri-Tip now (I'm only 35) and I feel like I have mastered it. It's a common meat here in California, and I just payed $8.49 lb for Prime here at a local Costco this weekend. The choice was $7.49, so it was a no brainer to get the Prime. If you ever have a chance to get Prime Tri-Tip - do it! Tri Tip can be tough if not cooked correctly. You have to pull it under 140 at least. I pull at 125 because medium rare Tri-Tip is a food of the God's. It finishes around 130 - 133 typically. Then the other key - SLICE ACROSS THE GRAIN!!! I've seen so many YouTube Videos of people just slicing it length wise. NO! The grain changes somewhere near the middle. Cut it in half where the grain changes, then slice accordingly.

As far as a rub goes, you really can't go wrong. S&P, Onion, & Garlic. To be a traditionalist, you add dried parsley - but not necessary, just pretty when it's raw.

Fellow Brethren, The Rub Co. from here in CA, have a Santa Maria Rub that will knock your sox off! I definitely recommend getting some from them.

To me the 2 very finest things in life, are a perfectly cooked Prime Tri-Tip, and now my newest obsession, a perfectly smoked Brisket. Amen. :thumb: