Freezing Brisket for a later date

Charcoal_Addict

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was thinking about buying some briskets for a US Costco on the next trip to the US. Canada is a huge rip-off at 7-8 bucks a pound for Brisket cuts. Many websites don't recommend freezing brisket cuts. This killing any chance of saving some money buying busier cuts south of the boarder.

Can you freeze brisket cuts without loosing some of the flavor for use at a later date?

I was thinking about buying some briskets for a US Costco on the next trip to the US. Canada is a huge rip-off at 7-8 bucks a pound for Brisket cuts. Many websites don't recommend freezing brisket cuts. This killing any chance of saving some money buying busier cuts south of the boarder.

Can you freeze brisket cuts without loosing some of the flavor for use at a later date?

If you are willing to buy them frozen, and keep them frozen you will have better results. A packer has the ability to freeze them much faster than most people do at home. That DOES make a difference in the quality. If Costco has some cases in a freezer, it might be worth a shot.

Thanks guys,

I was having a hard time understanding why these so-called internet experts were so agilent against freezing Briskets. I think they've become like the talking heads on CNN. There's a lot of white noise advice on the web these days.

I just picked up a couple briskets from Costco this past weekend and tossed them right into the deep freeze (still in cyro-vac) for a later date. They always turn out delish!

I also have a hard time paying 8$per lb :shocked:

Of course i also stocked up my charcoal supply to get me through till next year!

We buy 14-16 lb packers, trim, separate the flat and point, freeze the flats in food saver bags and turn the trimmed points into ground beef. We've had no problems at all and have done really well with the flats in competition.

The ground up, trimmed points also make better ground beef than we can buy out here.

Agreed. I freeze briskets lots, I've never had an issue with them. The issue I usually have with my briskets is "operator error." :wink:

I buy choice briskets by the case from a wholesaler and freeze them for when I need them. There has never been a problem with the quality of the meat after freezing.

I've been trying to find a decent wholesaler for Brisket in Alberta. All the butcher shops want 8 bucks a pound for a packer. 80 bucks for a 10 pounder is just insane. Most Americans are only paying about 25 - 35 dollars for the same cut.

Back