• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Carolina Summer DrumPit Smoking

N8man

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I could not have asked for a better day to do a little DrumPit smoking.
Got a nice breeze, 87* and Partly Sunny!! Today I'm cooking up an 8lb. Pork Picnic. Got the DrumPit loaded with Kingsford, some Black Cherry and some White Oak chunks. I love the flavor profile that wood combo produces.

DrumPit coming up to Temp..
DrumPit.jpg

I've prepared an injection of 1/2 cup Apple Juice and 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, with a TableSpoon of my Long Beard Pork Rub...No Wise Cracks about my Secret Injection Ingredient there in the background...Minty Fresh!!
inject.jpg

Picnic Before Injection....
picnic.jpg

During...
inject2.jpg

After...It's swelled up some...
picnic2.jpg

Rubbed and on to the Drum....
picnic3.jpg

Along with some Red Hot Sausages for Breakfast....MMMMMMM!!!
Red_Hots.jpg

Seven Hours Later...160* Got a ways to go....
picnic4.jpg

In the meantime throwed some Chicken Thighs on for Supper...
picnic_n_thighs.jpg

I'll pull them off here in about an hour and a half or so and have another looksee at that Picnic....

Last edited:
I prefer the flavor of picnics over butts for some reason. That one looks like it's gonna hit the spot!

Can't wait for the money shot. :clap2:

Rock Steady Temp, all day long. I did kick the can a while ago to knock down the ash..Should be good to go for another 4-6 hours..
Rock_Steady.jpg

And this is for the newer DrumHeads amongst us...
This is what Sweet Blue should look like when you're cooking.....
SweetBlue.jpg

What are red hot breakfast sausages? They look like Tijuana Mamas but more "hotdoggish". Those things always kill me, but every time I see one in the checkout lanes I end up buying one.

Man, that does look good! And once again you got my NC girl excited with those Red Hots, and I thank you:-D!

Final Tale Of The Tape....Picnic @ !95* Internal Temp, 11.5 Hours @ @250*, Probed Like Buttah....
Picnic_195.jpg

Pulled and Some Kind Of Wonderful...I was shoveling it in my Pie Hole as Fast as I was Pulling.....MMMMMMMM Pork Goodness Coma Taking Hold......
Pan_O_Wonderful.jpg

The House Smells Delightful.....Time For Some Adult Beverages.........

These are Carolina Pride Brand, Made In SC...
HardWood Smoked Red Hot Sausages, Delightful!!!!

What are red hot breakfast sausages? They look like Tijuana Mamas but more "hotdoggish". Those things always kill me, but every time I see one in the checkout lanes I end up buying one.

It's Like A Taste of Home...

Man, that does look good! And once again you got my NC girl excited with those Red Hots, and I thank you:-D!

Great looking picnic shoulder, bro, congrats on a great cook!

^^Outstanding Nate!! Pulling pork is a tough job, but somebody has to sacrifice themselves. Your patience is strong and must be rewarded!! A fine hunk of work my friend.:thumb:

Thanks for posting. Great day to be outside and doing the thing to do!
About the dog.. hope he was friendly!

Back