The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My first PBC mod (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152885)

Freddy j 02-01-2013 07:50 PM

My first PBC mod

Just did my first PBC mod:

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...9C2ADA28E4.jpg

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...9C242272BE.jpg

Going to mount my "bob" grommets tomm (like I did on my wsm) so I can hook up my temp probes.

Might add a bottle opener from bps so we can pop open our brewskis, root beers, cream sodas, whatever ( mostly caz it's cool!)

Thanks for looking.

Pitmaster T 02-01-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy j (Post 2350932)

Going to mount my "bob" grommets tomm (like I did on my wsm) so I can hook up my temp probes.

Might add a bottle opener from bps so we can pop open our brewskis, root beers, cream sodas, whatever ( mostly caz it's cool!)

Thanks for looking.

Nice mod! I am glad we are back to what we were, stealing and tweaking... even though some might think it crass to come on here and steal an idea (the bottle opener) that Big Poppa Smokers spent brain energy on creating, only to put it on a smaller UDS version thing known as the PBC. I don't think its crass! Good Job.

swamprb 02-01-2013 08:58 PM

Nice! I'd mod the intake vent with a handle for easy adjustments.

BTW what size hole is the intake??

jrn 02-02-2013 12:44 AM

Gauge seems to be real close to the same size doesn't it? :mrgreen:

Those gauges are made in two sizes, 2 and 3 inch.

NorthwestBBQ 02-02-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb (Post 2351015)

The size of that hole is a mystery. :-P

NorthwestBBQ 02-02-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy j (Post 2350932)

How dare you? :-P

Freddy j 02-02-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster T (Post 2350993)
Nice mod! I am glad we are back to what we were, stealing and tweaking... even though some might think it crass to come on here and steal an idea (the bottle opener) that Big Poppa Smokers spent brain energy on creating, only to put it on a smaller UDS version thing known as the PBC. I don't think its crass! Good Job.

Thanks PMT, yeah like most, I like to mod (personalize) my stuff. I found a piece of 3" x 6" rough sawn red oak plank that I'm thinking of using to make a small shelf. Ps, big poppas bottle opener works on the wsm 22 as well ;). (Also, I woulda considered a bps uds if he sold a finished product, or the kit included a drum. Cowgirl has a ss bps that is unreal)

Quote:

Good idea, but the theory as I understand it is that you don't need to adj the
Intake but can crack the lid a bit of you want to ramp up the temp.

My plan is to use it a few cooks without adj, build up some gunk on the inside, see how it works, then maybe fiddle around with the intake. But I still have my wsm 22 and making a wsm that I can use if I want a different cook also.

Hole is about the size of a beer can, but it's also partially covered and locked down tight with a screw so who knows. I'm sure that the hole could be made bigger or smaller and adj flow with a cover or whatever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 2351251)

Lol, yep looks Purdy don't it?

Freddy j 02-02-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrn (Post 2351203)
Gauge seems to be real close to the same size doesn't it? :mrgreen:

Those gauges are made in two sizes, 2 and 3 inch.

Nah, decided on the smaller gauge caz I didn't want to spend a lot of $$ (needed 2 of them, one for PBC and 1 for wsm mini).

Ron_L 02-02-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

I just grabbed a ruler and tried to measure it. Part of it is covered by the flap but it looks to be 3 1/2", and on mine about 50% is covered.

Part of the design of the PBC is it's simplicity. If you're going to add in adjustable intakes, etc. why not just build a small UDS?

BobM 02-02-2013 08:33 AM

Looks good!

Sent from my Android phone.

Freddy j 02-02-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2351339)
I just grabbed a ruler and tried to measure it. Part of it is covered by the flap but it looks to be 3 1/2", and on mine about 50% is covered.

Part of the design of the PBC is it's simplicity. If you're going to add in adjustable intakes, etc. why not just build a small UDS?

Good point, I can do that on the wsm 22 and the mini (when it's done). Going to add the grommets for my probes later this morning and cook up some chicken halves this evening. Going to also put a couple sweet potatoes on hooks and PBC them with the chicken.

jrn 02-02-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 2351251)

That one cracked me up!!

Carbon 02-02-2013 10:24 AM

You can, of course, turn it into a full blown UDS, and still keep all the operating features of the PBC...

cowgirl 02-02-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy j (Post 2351267)
Thanks PMT, yeah like most, I like to mod (personalize) my stuff. I found a piece of 3" x 6" rough sawn red oak plank that I'm thinking of using to make a small shelf. Ps, big poppas bottle opener works on the wsm 22 as well ;). (Also, I woulda considered a bps uds if he sold a finished product, or the kit included a drum. Cowgirl has a ss bps that is unreal)

I love the stainless Big Poppa drum... my old home built is being neglected. :grin:

Bludawg 02-02-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 2351469)
You can, of course, turn it into a full blown UDS, and still keep all the operating features of the PBC...

Only if you don't use the the BluDawg registered copy written Double Secret Probation exhaust port design:caked: