Pork sirloin help

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anybody seen these before they come in a 10lbs./2.5 lbs each four pack from Costco. They were $1.99/lbs. with $2.00 extra off at the register. So question #2 would be do they have any use in the bbq world or what should I do with them. They look and feel like short tenderloins. Thanks
porksirloin001.jpg

I know what the pork sirloin is, I assume this is the end, which I would think makes a great roast. It will take more heat than a tenderloin, as the meat is a little less lean. I would still brine or marinade it, then smoke it.

I do them all the time because they are cheap. These are bone-in, correct? Either way, they'll take smoke just fine, but I prefer the bone-in ones. If it's boneless, I would recommend tieing it with some butchers twine to even out the cooking. But yes, as landarc mentioned, brine it first. A simple rub of S&P with a little granulated garlic and some green herbs in it does well with it. I cook them up in the 325* - 350* range until they hit about 145*.

Weve done that in a slow cooker, came out great.

I have smoked them before. They are pretty lean, but not as lean as Pork Loin IMO. You can take them to ~150F for slicing, ~190F for chopped (foil @ 150F with some AJ) or slice them for steaks. Or cure them for something similar to Canadian Bacon. Quite versatile actually... Cheers!!!

Cook 'em like a loin. I get these all the time for around $2.00/lb. Great sliced and fried for breakfast too. They are not quite as lean as loin, but it's really good pork. You'll love it.

I've been making lunch sandwiches out of 3/4" slices fried to ~140 internal, then rested covered for 10 min. Awesome, and less $$ than ground beef for a burger.

They are also cut into slices and sold as Texas style pork ribeye steaks down here.

Thanks all I'm looking forward to cooking with these. I saw them last time but hesitated because I've never heard of that cut of pork. Sounds like it should be fun cooking these with all your help. Thanks for the quick replies too.

Back