The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New BBQ Accessory (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13981)

spoon 10-19-2005 11:16 AM

New BBQ Accessory

1 Attachment(s)
Some may remember that I previously had a scrap piece of silestone countertop material that I placed on my pit for outdoor prep. I really liked it cuz it was impervious to weather and was plenty big. Well, I accidently bumped the pit with my car backing out of the driveway, knocking off the old table-top and smashing it to pieces. I really wanted a replacement cuz I like to prep meat outside so OL doesn't scream about messing up the kitchen. I thought a cutting board material would do good outdoors, so I started looking online. The cheapest place I found was the following:

www.hannarubbercompany.com

They cut it to my specs (36"W x 20"D x 1"thick). On the pit, it hangs over a bit from the metal table, but is still very stable due to weight. I wanted as big as possible to allow for briskets, etc. Its easy to clean - just hose it off and scrub. Total price (incl delivery) = $55.

Here is a pic:

chad 10-19-2005 11:20 AM

Sounds like you got a good deal. One nice thing about this material is it can be resurfaced (ie. after it's well scratched and marked up) by sanding.

Cleaning: you are so right - rinse, scrub, hit with a bleach solution and you're done!

Bill-Chicago 10-19-2005 11:22 AM

will the part closest to the cooker melt or warp at all?

parrothead 10-19-2005 11:50 AM

Very nice.

spoon 10-19-2005 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
will the part closest to the cooker melt or warp at all?

Bill, I'm not sure as I haven't cooked since getting it. I can leave a small space (1-2"), and I think I'll be fine. Its fairly hard material - not as hard as the silestone I had before - but still good. I'll update if I have any problems.

Kevin 10-19-2005 02:27 PM

Just checked their website. NSF approved. This is a good thing to have for commercial vendors.

Bigmista 10-19-2005 07:05 PM

Nice pit! Nice score!

Sawdustguy 10-19-2005 08:26 PM

Sanatec is made from HDPE (High Density Polyethelene) and has a melting point of 271*F. I would mount the cutting about 1/2" away from the smoking chamber just to be safe.

spoon 10-20-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
Sanatec is made from HDPE (High Density Polyethelene) and has a melting point of 271*F. I would mount the cutting about 1/2" away from the smoking chamber just to be safe.

Great info - thanks.

Aeynghus 10-21-2005 02:34 PM

Nice setup. How do you have the table secure to the pit (tp avoid a repeat trashing)?

spoon 10-24-2005 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeynghus
Nice setup. How do you have the table secure to the pit (tp avoid a repeat trashing)?

Just resting on top of expanded metal table - not secured. Its fairly heavy, so I don't have much concern unless I perform a repeat maneuver with the car. Even if that happens, I don't think this new board would break into pieces - just fall off.

Sawdustguy 10-24-2005 02:46 PM

Why take a chance. Drill some holes thru the metal table underneath. Your cutting board is an inch thick. Just get some 3/4" stainless steel sheet metal screws and washers and screw thru the holes you drilled in the metal table beneath.