COMPETITION ORGANIZERS - I need your help

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As part of a graduate level course I am doing a project where I am looking to apply the Project Management Institute's project guidelines to the concept of planning, organizing and executing a competition to see if they can be used for the betterment of the process. Unfortunately I only have four weeks to complete the project, and no I didn't procrastinate, the opportunity came up just tonight.

What I could really use is any and all materials those of you that have done this before have used in order to organize a competition. Checklists, guidelines, home grown spreadsheets, I do mean anything. I have to try and include for the possibilities of all aspects of a competition.

I know KCBS has some information packets for prospective organizers, and I am going to be reaching out to them tomorrow. With any hope, whatever comes out of this project might be something they can incorporate into their materials to make life easier for all future organizers.

Again, if you have ANYTHING that you are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. You can PM me or email any materials to neilpthole-competitioninfo at yahoo.com.

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance.
Neil

Here's some info that was given to me from the PNWBA as a guideline...it is mainly for the host city / site...hope it helps. Good luck!

P N W B A
Pacific Northwest Barbecue Association
23632 Hwy 99 F127
Edmonds, WA 98026
Two Day Cookoff
Two day events generally have anywhere from $2,500 to $15,000 or more.
Prize money is provided by sponsor or sponsors of the event.
Competitors must cook the following items:
Chicken, Ribs, Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt), and Brisket
Special additional (optional) categories can include: – sausage, wings, or appetizer, dessert, chili or some other sponsored item.
Arrival approx 10 am – 5 pm 1st day (depends on if you have an anything but or other extra category on the 1st day)
Schedule would look something like this
10 am – 12 start setup and load in
Meat Inspection at 12
Special category turn-in 5 or 6 pm
7 pm Team Potluck or Sponsored dinner
2nd Day
11 Pork Butt
12 Briskett
1 Chicken
2 Ribs
Approx 4 or 4:30 - Awards
Or
12 Pork
1 Briskett
2 Chicken
3 Ribs
Awards at 5:00 or 5:30
Facilities needed onsite:
10 X 15 (10 x 20 is preferred) Large pits may need a little more 20 x 20 ( per cooking team
Water available to cooks
Restrooms or port-a-potty
Ash disposal (metal garbage cans with lids are best)
Grease water disposal
Grey Water disposal
Provides location for judging – provide a 10 x 20 or 20 x 20 tent or place inside.
MUST have power access for juding -- It is also nice to have power for teams if possible..
Provides tables and chairs for judging areas (4 – 8 ft tables) with chairs (or more depending on number of teams attending)
Gift bag for cooks and Judges (optional) depends on your sponsorship
Parking for vehicles
RV parking if possible and tent camping if possible
Security overnight (PNWBA can also provide if arranged)
Sponsor / Event organizer get all information on health permits necessary and work with any vendors for the event.
Pacific Northwest BBQ usually handles the following but not always
Collects entry fees ($120 - 165 per cook-off depending on estimated expenses)
Advertises the event in our newsletter and website and contacts local newspapers with event information.
Purchase trophies (sometimes the sponsor does this depending on sponsorship etc)
Provides Certified BBQ Head Judge
Provides Certified BBQ Judges (or can give judging class if needed)
Provides materials for judging (water, crackers, plates, etc)
Teams bring their own tents, BBQ’s, meat (unless a sponsor is procured for some items), charcoal, washing stations, tables, chairs, etc.
We can also just sanction and provide a head judge for the event. For this we ask $300 sanctioning fee and travel and lodging expenses for the head judge. PNWBA will put registration form on our site, advertising in our newsletter and mail out form to all on our mailing list. The event organizer does all of the rest.

Back