The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Preference: Stubb's vs Kinsford Competition (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151451)

Trumpstylz 01-13-2013 08:35 PM

Preference: Stubb's vs Kinsford Competition

I was reading on Pattiodaddios previous post about a comparison. Both look good, but I would probably end up going with whichever is cheaper (I'm pretty sure the 2X20lb bags of comp are around 20$ at costco, not sure on stubbs).

Which do you prefer?

Big George's BBQ 01-13-2013 08:46 PM

I have only used Stubbs- I liked them for my meadowcreek

woodbutcher1 01-13-2013 09:18 PM

i have always only used Kingsford,why? i can get it cheap several times a year and stock up on it.

CarolinaQue 01-13-2013 09:21 PM

Just to clarify, Kingsford Competition is different than the standard blue bag stuff, and more expensive. With that said, I much prefer the Kingsford Competition over Stubb's.

Trumpstylz 01-13-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaQue (Post 2327794)
Just to clarify, Kingsford Competition is different than the standard blue bag stuff, and more expensive. With that said, I much prefer the Kingsford Competition over Stubb's.

Huh. I was expecting people to say the opposite.

Foxfire 01-13-2013 10:54 PM

Never used Stubbs, but am interested to try. I like Kingsford Comp a lot but I find it pricey for day to day use. That said, I just saw K. Comp. at Walmart today for the first time I recall. Think it was about $9 for the 11+ lb. bag.

Cloudsmoker 01-13-2013 11:48 PM

I prefer Stumps - but mostly because I can get it at Lowes or Tom Thumb grocery store.
Have only seen K-competition at Costco once.

BigBellyBBQ 01-14-2013 03:07 AM

neither I like royal oak..I think Stubs (worked okay) is made by the same people that do cowboy

CarolinaQue 01-14-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2327803)
Huh. I was expecting people to say the opposite.

The opposite of what? Were you expecting more people to like Stubb's over Kingsford Comp? It does appear that Stubb's is leading the poll.

Vision 01-14-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2327742)
I was reading on Pattiodaddios previous post about a comparison. Both look good, but I would probably end up going with whichever is cheaper (I'm pretty sure the 2X20lb bags of comp are around 20$ at costco, not sure on stubbs).

Which do you prefer?

If you can get k comp at that price let me know, it's usually closer to $1/lb.

I prefer K comp.

Stubbs briquettes are heavier. You don't get a lot, one bag of Stubbs will only fill up one chimney. It's one of the hottest burning charcoals I've used. But I haven't experienced a taste difference between Stubbs and K comp, so K comp wins since it's easier to work with.

Jaskew82 01-14-2013 08:04 AM

I use Stubbs for competition cooking. I have never used Kingsford Competition because its darn expensive and hard to find around here. I find blue bag is fine for the backyard and Stubbs is my charcoal of choice for competition. Though, I honestly don't think I can taste the difference.

foam2 01-14-2013 08:15 AM

There is an article at the naked whiz regarding both kingsford briquettes. My own personal preference is the competition briquettes but I have used both.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productrevi...ompetition.htm

SmokinSlowPoke 01-14-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

one bag of Stubbs will only fill up one chimney.
I think you may be buying the smaller bags :twitch:. I have a weber chimney (large not the mini) and I used Stubbs this weekend. I filled it all the way up twice and 3/4 of the way up once and still have 1/3 of the bag left.

You can buy a 16 pounds bag of Stubbs at Lowes for $8.99 regular price, thats pretty strong.

Smoking Westy 01-14-2013 08:41 AM

Stubbs here as well mainly because it is easy to get and the price isn't too bad. I run it almost exclusively in my WSM and love the stuff.

eddieh70301 01-14-2013 10:40 AM

I have used both. I find Kingsford Comp has more ash compared to Stubbs. I can't get Kingsford Comp any longer so I use Stubbs or RO lump. that's what is readily avail in my area.