Yes finally!

MStoney72

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I finally got my WSM, but its not dirty yet:( Maybe tomorrow I will be able to mess around with it after work;) I'm gonna mount my wheels on it ASAP, that's for sure
6y5yqupy.jpg

Here are the wheels I bought for it
3ume2agy.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I am so dang ready to fire this thing up this weekend its killing me. Kinda that feeling I get when I haven't Que'd for awhile;)

I am so dang ready to fire this thing up this weekend its killing me. Kinda that feeling I get when I haven't Que'd for awhile;)

Fill it with charcoal and put a butt on over night. There are plenty of threads that describe this.

Fill it with charcoal and put a butt on over night. There are plenty of threads that describe this.

I definetly would, but I leave for work at 4:00 am and I don't leave myself any time for the in the am. I'm gonna pretty much have to wait till the weekend, unfortunately:'(

I had an opportunity to fire up the WSM tonight and cook up some Jalapeno Cheddar brats and some leftover ribs from my ribeye roast from a couple weeks ago
emuza2e7.jpg

Overall I am very impressed with this cooker the way it held at a consistent temperature, it wanted to run a little on the warmer side around 275, but I'm sure that's because its new. My door seemed to be sealed pretty well, since I did a little tweaking on it, I only saw a little smoke coming out of it. I was wondering if all of you wsm owners have smoke coming out around the perimeter of your lids? Now I need to get this thing cooled down so I can get it in the garage and get ready for bed:)

I had an opportunity to fire up the WSM tonight and cook up some Jalapeno Cheddar brats and some leftover ribs from my ribeye roast from a couple weeks ago
emuza2e7.jpg

Overall I am very impressed with this cooker the way it held at a consistent temperature, it wanted to run a little on the warmer side around 275, but I'm sure that's because its new. My door seemed to be sealed pretty well, since I did a little tweaking on it, I only saw a little smoke coming out of it. I was wondering if all of you wsm owners have smoke coming out around the perimeter of your lids? Now I need to get this thing cooled down so I can get it in the garage and get ready for bed:)

Even after getting considerable gunk built up inside mine (including the lid), I still get some smoke leaking out the rim of the lid. As far as I can tell my temps stay consistent and the Q tastes good so I've left it alone.

Even after getting considerable gunk built up inside mine (including the lid), I still get some smoke leaking out the rim of the lid. As far as I can tell my temps stay consistent and the Q tastes good so I've left it alone.

Good, I kinda figured that, but I wanted to ask the question. I'm gonna do a pork butt this weekend, so I will get some gunk built up in her and seal it off;)

Good, I kinda figured that, but I wanted to ask the question. I'm gonna do a pork butt this weekend, so I will get some gunk built up in her and seal it off;)

She will seal up just fine after a few cooks. No need to worry. As far as letting it cool down, close all the vents and everything will be o.k..

Congrats on your new weapon! (big brother smoke mod)

Just went out and looked at wsm and noticed that the coals never extinguished themselves with all of the vents closed:'( I hope that it seals off better than that or charcoal is gonna get real expensive. I'm not a real big fan of those tabs on the vents, they are probably the reason it did that

My door seemed to be sealed pretty well, since I did a little tweaking on it, I only saw a little smoke coming out of it. I was wondering if all of you wsm owners have smoke coming out around the perimeter of your lids?
A little smoke here, a little smoke there, don't sweat it. My WSMs get scrubbed spotless once or twice a year. I always have a little smoke sneaking out. No big deal.

Just went out and looked at wsm and noticed that the coals never extinguished themselves with all of the vents closed
You've got some leaking somewhere. Have you checked it to be sure it's "in round"? Check the bowl, and top and bottom of the center section. If it's out of round you'll have problems getting the coals to go out.

Congrats on your WSM. I just picked up a used (once?) 22 yesterday. I've had an 18 for a couple years and also have a mini.

DSC_5940-PP.JPG

I had similar problem with infiltration on the 18 when it was new. After a couple smokes that had higher temps than I wanted and with all bottom vents closed, I put some high temp silicone along the bottom seal on the mid section:

DSC_1315-PP.JPG

That helped to bring temperatures under control for me and I plan to do that on the 22 as well. What Harbormaster said about out of round is also important. Try to determine where the widest point on the bottom is and match that up with the widest point on the middle. Probably help to do the same with the lid as well. Some will try to get the sections perfectly round with gentle persuasion and that's probably a good strategy if you can get it right.

@HankB that's a very nice collection you have there:). I'm just getting ready to put on two whole butts right now, so I'm hoping a nice long cook is gonna help out. I'm kinda thinking that one the newness wears off I won't revert back to my mini for a lot of my cooks, but I am gonna get this 22 1/2 seasoned up first. I really like how this new cooker reacts to vent adjustments so far, I'm sure its gonna get a lot better too! I might do some high temp silicone like you have if I continue to do short cooks, regardless of how this thing shuts down. I have a digiq that I am eventually set up, so sealing it up will be a priority eventually anyways. So far this cooker doesn't even need a guru for anything, but piece of mind:). I use the guru on my performer and I almost think it might stay on there, well see

Back