The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pellet Cookers, yay or nay? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176394)

rdberry76 11-29-2013 03:02 PM

Pellet Cookers, yay or nay?

Just curious what you guys think about pellet cookers? Thinking of getting one but wanted some informed opinions on the subject.

Bludawg 11-29-2013 03:10 PM

I don't see the attraction you have to use proprietary fuel, and you need electricity. I can get fuel in my back yard and use a Bow drill if for lack of matches to get a cooking fire going in all my stuff. But I'm an AM radio crank up window manual door lock sort So...

jasonjax 11-29-2013 03:11 PM

I won't go back after having three of them.

I went from a couple WSM's and a Bubba Keg (much like a green egg) to a GMG Daniel Boon to my current setup of Cookshack FEC100 and PG500. I LOVE my pellet poppers.

LMAJ 11-29-2013 03:14 PM

I have had multiple cookers, and hands down the Traeger Big Al bought is the easiest. It puts out good queue, it's really easy to use, and doesn't have to be babysat. Some folks like that, some hate it. It doesn't give off a heavy smoke flavor - but that's my preference anyway.
I found I didn't have the patience for a stick burner. Love the versatility of my Big Green Egg. And the Pellet Pooper is another tool in the arsenal.

Ron_L 11-29-2013 03:27 PM

Here is a recent thread asking the same question...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=176132

As I posted in that thread, you're going to get a lot of comments from folks with strong opinions against pellet smokers and grills. Unfortunately a lot of them have never used one.

sliding_billy 11-29-2013 03:36 PM

Not for me, but I will not criticize others' use of them. Plenty of food better than mine has come off of them.

Fwismoker 11-29-2013 03:39 PM

They can be great cookers but lack good smoke flavor output at higher temps..Past 250 the smoke flavor goes down hill fast regardless of what the poopers out there say. They can be upgraded with things like Smoke Daddy smoke generators.

IMO controlling fire and smoke yourself gives much more enjoyment and satisfaction not to mention great flavor. Oh and charcoal or wood burners can't break down on you nor do they require electricity!

jasonjax 11-29-2013 03:40 PM

The common theme you will likely find is that it isn't the device nearly as much as it is the cook, but I personally prefer spending my BBQ time working on my recipe and other techniques rather than "tending" a fire. That said, I also feel that spending some time with a charcoal or stick burner will give you better appreciation for the overall art of the que.

This is a seriously polarized thing as Ron mentioned. There is no right or wrong answer. Do your homework and you will likely be very happy with your decision based on your wants/needs.

P.S. Check out this site if you do want to get more pellet-specific info: http://pelletheads.com/ The Brethren site is a far more in-depth BBQ site, but that one has some good info on pellet cookers only.

rdberry76 11-29-2013 03:55 PM

My interest in the pellet cookers comes from wanting a little more time to work on side items or not having to babysit a fire. I've got a charcoal and stick burner now and love the food that comes off it. However, I've got three little girls that need attention too so I'm wanting to free up some of the fire tending time. They love to "help" daddy cook but it's getting to be to cold to have a 6 and 3 year old outside with me. I want the efficiency but don't like gas cookers so thought pellets would be the answer. Thanks for everyone's input.

Bludawg 11-29-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdberry76 (Post 2712705)
My interest in the pellet cookers comes from wanting a little more time to work on side items or not having to babysit a fire. I've got a charcoal and stick burner now and love the food that comes off it. However, I've got three little girls that need attention too so I'm wanting to free up some of the fire tending time. They love to "help" daddy cook but it's getting to be to cold to have a 6 and 3 year old outside with me. I want the efficiency but don't like gas cookers so thought pellets would be the answer. Thanks for everyone's input.

Build a UDS and thank me later.

Woody1911a1 11-29-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2712726)
Build a UDS and thank me later.

or buy a pellet pooper and thank me later .

bought mine and never looked back :)

veryolddog 11-29-2013 04:31 PM

I have both a pellet smoker and a stick burner. I use the pellet smoker for long cooks like pork butts and briskets. The stick burner is used for cooks from 5 hours to 8 hours.

I like the flexibility and that's it.

Ed

lantern 11-29-2013 04:42 PM

Less time and lack of babysitting isn't the big draw for me. I enjoy tweaking this and that.

HOWEVER, what needs to be addressed more is the massive difference in footprint needed to store and season wood, the instant availability of many "exotic" woods compared to full sized sticks locally, consistent flavor and burn over natural wood which can at times be hiding a surprise inside.

I enjoy every way of cooking. Offset, bullet type, pellet...heck I like using my old cookshack from time to time. I don't see one as lesser than the others. I can make'm all sing when I'm hittin' my marks.:decision::biggrin1::bow:

Wneill20 11-29-2013 05:50 PM

This is a loaded question. i have two pellet smokers, two UDS smokers and a Jambo stick burner. They all produce great food with different flavors it depends what you are looking for. The pellet smoker is my everyday smoker during the weekdays and you can smoke food, cook pizza, bake a cake and just about anything else on it. If i want true BBQ or if Im cooking at a competition then it is the Jambo and the UDS. If i was you i would buy a pellet smoker and build a UDS you will have the best of both worlds.

16Adams 11-29-2013 06:45 PM

Same question-different scenerio

Which of these statements most closely fits. Answer a True or False

1. I enjoy beating my wife
2. I don't enjoy beating my wife

See- some things in the Universe have no correct answer.

I'm going to steal/score a pellet oven and a long extension cord off Craigslist-someday. But I'm not actively looking. About as high tech as I want to be in fire starting is a chimney.

But I do enjoy the discussion. Not just the OP-but everyone I would encourage you to try barrel cooking. It's awesome.