• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Taking a trip: Dallas - Houston - Austin, where are we eating?

jonfromjersey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My 1st trip to Texas and really looking forward to it. Wife and I will be taking the Dallas - Houston drive by ourselves and then meeting friends in Austin for a 3 day weekend.

#1 Dallas best BBQ?
#2 Houston best BBQ
#3 Austin best BBQ (we cannot rationalize spending 6 hours on line @ Franklin)

Thanks to everyone for whatever recommendations you can make.

Franklin's is down for the count right now anyway... La BBQ is really good, Valentinas Tex-Mex is also very good. The tacos are too die for. Louis Mueller's in Taylor is also very good, great ambiance there. I would skip Salt Lick.. great place but food is sub-par IMO.

I've also heard great things about Micklethwait Craft Meats in Austin, never tried it though. Stiles and Switch in Austin serves pretty good Q with hardly any wait either.

Austin: Freedmens BBQ is a must. the brisket was amazing. As was the sausage. And the spare ribs. I was just there last month. Added bonus is the cocktails. Their bartender knows what he's doing. Order an Old Fashioned if that's your thing.

If you're in north Dallas go to Hutchins BBQ for the all you can eat! It's still a part of the top 50 BBQ in Texas.

Houston - killens bbq located in Pearland

Attended TMBBQ's "Behind the Pit" dinner at Killen's. Some of the best BBQ I ever ate. The smoked prime rib was the best meat I ever put in my mouth, but sadly not on the menu normally.

Hutchins is my "go to" place when I feel like eating BBQ out. Mainly because it's all you can eat. The Brisket is usually outstanding, and the sausage is great. Skip the ribs, IMO, as they aren't very good.

Pecan Lodge is great but the lines are crazy. Haven't been to Cattleack yet because they are only open like Thursday and Friday for lunch. My new job has me off every other Friday So I have a trip planned soon.

All the Austin places listed are good, SKIP Salt Lick though, no matter how many times it's been on TV. The other places are better. Also don't forget about the places just outside Austin, and worth the drive. Like Snow's and Kreuz Market.

Back