• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

K-JUN Inspired Hot Italian Sausage

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
After K_JUN's excellent thread the other day, Aye was inspired to try my hand a snags again. Since my first attempt for the "Lets do it like an Aussie" Throwdown, Aye have been doing a lot of reading in my Charcutterie book by Michael Ruhlman here is an excerpt from the book with the recipe I followed.

FOR SPICY SAUSAGE 41⁄2 pounds/2 kilograms boneless pork shoulder butt, diced 8 ounces/225 grams pork back fat, diced 11⁄2 ounces/40 grams kosher salt (3 tablespoons) 2 tablespoons/32 grams granulated sugar.

2 tablespoons/16 grams fennel seeds, toasted (see page 52) 1 tablespoon/8 grams coriander seeds, toasted (see page 52) 3 tablespoons/24 grams Hungarian paprika 1⁄2 teaspoon/1 gram cayenne pepper 4 tablespoons/24 grams fresh oregano leaves 4 tablespoons/24 grams fresh basil leaves 2 tablespoons/12 grams hot red pepper flakes 2 teaspoons/6 grams coarsely ground black pepper 3⁄4 cup/185 milliliters ice water 1⁄4 cup/60 milliliters red wine vinegar, chilled, 10 feet/3 meters hog casings, soaked in tepid water for at least 30 minutes and rinsed
1. Combine all the ingredients except the water and vinegar and toss to distribute the seasonings. Chill until ready to grind. 2. Grind the mixture through the small die into a bowl set in ice (see Note below). 3. Add the water and vinegar to the meat mixture and mix with the paddle attachment (or a sturdy spoon) until the liquids are incorporated and the mixture has developed a uniform, sticky appearance, about 1 minute on medium speed. 4. Sauté a small portion of the sausage, taste, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

5. Stuff the sausage into the hog casings, and twist into 6-inch/15-centimeter links. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to cook. 6.hot smoke at 225 degrees, the sausage to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F./65 degrees C.

Ruhlman, Michael; Polcyn, Brian (2011-09-15). Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (pp. 107-108). Norton. Kindle Edition.

Here is the batch on the smoker.

Thanks K_JUN for the inspiration, and you too! Fer lookin!
Jed

bow-down.gif

The student has surpassed the teacher. LOL

bow-down.gif

The student has surpassed the teacher. LOL
Hardly, my friend. The Kitchen-Aide attachment was great for grinding and I kept everything at near frozen. However, the sausage stuffer blows! I need to get a 5lb one like the one you have. Thanks Again!
Ensign HT

However, the sausage stuffer blows! I need to get a 5lb one like the one you have. Thanks Again!
Ensign HT

Mine is actually [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L84JG0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SQDTRC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PFT30BDDX2RSQ4Z376C"]3 Lb model[/ame] they make a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L7WXCI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SQDTRC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FNHWB7D8PGMWESPBAAC"]5 lb model [/ame]in the same design but if you go that route for just a little more you can get a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Vertical-Sausage/dp/B000SQDTRC"]5 lb vertical [/ame]wich is much better.

Thanks folks, the last time Aye used my pastry bag and man did Aye get a work out. Aye like the Grizzly model though. My new purchase next week. Yippie.

Hardly, my friend. The Kitchen-Aide attachment was great for grinding and I kept everything at near frozen. However, the sausage stuffer blows! I need to get a 5lb one like the one you have. Thanks Again!
Ensign HT
Glad to see I was not the only one, tried the KA stuffer and it did not work worth a phark. KA meat grinder gave me some problems so ordered a larger grinder. Haven't tried the stuffer attachment with it yet. Will have to that one of these days.

Very nice work there sir!

And +1 on a dedicated stuffer. I got a 5# vertical from Northern Tool that I really like. Grinding with the KA is alright, stuffing with it is not!

Back