The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Group discussion #3 The "Danger zone" (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17925)

bbqjoe 05-23-2006 12:55 AM

Group discussion #3 The "Danger zone"

Okay so we now know that 41*-135* is the area that promotes the growth of harmful bacteria. We also now know how to properly thaw meat.

Once again, HIG says that Potentially dangerous foods (PDF'S) that remain in this zone for over four hours must be discarded, whether heating or cooling.
Does this bring up any issues?
How might this affect "Low and Slow"?
Are we ok?
What do you think?

kcquer 05-23-2006 01:26 AM

Using low cooking temps (200-250) and large cuts of meat, I'm sure that we frequently skirt the 4 hour window, if not exceed it outright. Frankly it doesn't scare me, if that was going to make me sick, it would have done it long ago.

CharlieBeasley 05-23-2006 07:14 AM

I would ask if the cooking temp is 200 to 220 how long does thawed meat stay in the < 135 range I think I took 4 to 5 hours on a pork butt the last cook I did. Would I then have to eject the butt as to long in the danger range?

The_Kapn 05-23-2006 07:28 AM

I'm with KC here.
I understand, respect, and try to comply with the time/temp guidlines.
But, It is like the "sell by" date on food.
There is no little clock in there saying--"Wake up Cooties, time to destroy this food" :lol:
Well, maybe there is in poultry :redface:
To me, they are guidlines and I work hard to honor them.

But, by the nature of our cooking......?

TIM

BBQchef33 05-23-2006 10:34 AM

I always know its there.. up until 135-140 is when the cooty riot can begin inside that beef. So, i sit back and wait for the fight to start and then watch the mass destruction at 140. Yes by-products are left behind but no ones gotten sick on my BBQ except for eating too much of it. :)

jminion 05-23-2006 12:06 PM

if the cut is a bone in butt as an example the interior of the meat is not a problem it will be the exterior, same with large cuts of beef. Now if the butt is boned and tied back together then you have exposed the interior to bacteria and getting the cut up to 140 in 4 hours would be a good idea.

Ground meat if cooking at low pit temps or cold smoking them a cure is called for and I would use as directed based on weight.
Jim

bbqjoe 05-23-2006 12:44 PM

Very, very good point Jim.

NorthernQ 05-23-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminion
if the cut is a bone in butt as an example the interior of the meat is not a problem it will be the exterior, same with large cuts of beef. Now if the butt is boned and tied back together then you have exposed the interior to bacteria and getting the cut up to 140 in 4 hours would be a good idea.

Ground meat if cooking at low pit temps or cold smoking them a cure is called for and I would use as directed based on weight.
Jim

Jim IMO you have nailed the issue. Cooking L & S exposes the outside to 200º+ temps which prevents bacteria growth EXCEPT on those parts cut and exposed to air (and bacteria) as in boned or ground meat.

NorthernQ 05-24-2006 01:30 PM

As an aside, cooling of leftover food (which has been in the critical zone for less than the 4 hour limit) must be accomplished quickly.
A 2" pan will cool to safe temp in 2 hours; a 4" pan takes 8 hours and an 8" pan takes 32 hours to cool completely!