The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sausage Makers Using Hi-Temp Cheese & Iced Pork Broth (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160499)

thirdeye 05-08-2013 10:17 PM

Sausage Makers Using Hi-Temp Cheese & Iced Pork Broth

One of my sausage buddies wants to do a group batch, using several recipes.... Maybe 50 # or so. I have some lamb which we will cut with some pork, and the rest will be all pork or a mix of beef and pork. We want to make a cheese and roasted chile sausage, most likely some Italian, and maybe a Farm Breakfast sausage, and some hot links. We are going to order some hi-temp cheese...Now for the advice and comments.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1559racrop.jpg

I have only had the hi-temp cheddar cheese in sausage. Is anyone using other types? Butcher & Packer has Blue, Pepper Jack, Lava Jack, Mozz, Cheddar, Swiss, and Buffalo Wing flavor. Any leftover cheese will be used in meatloaf or in grilled burgers.

Most all sausage recipes call for ice water, I'm thinking of using iced pork broth instead. Has anyone fooled around with that?

We will also make some Texas Hot Links using Bigwheel's recipe... it calls for iced beer instead of water.

ButtBurner 05-09-2013 06:07 AM

Butcher Packer is about 5 miles from where I work.

Neat place.

I have used the cheddar, pepper jack, and mozz

really nothing to it, its real easy to use

the only thing I can suggest is use a little more than the instructions call for. Always seems not enough so I add more.

It also freezes well if you dont use it all

thirdeye 05-09-2013 06:28 AM

That's good to hear. I was curious about the Mozz,...It's so mild I never though of it as a flavor cheese, just more of a texture and melting cheese, like when it's used on on pizza.

Does the hi-temp Mozz get stringy? or does it just get soft like the cheddar? And which types of sausage are you using it in?

I'm thinking of getting some blue also, most likely to mix into hamburger patties or in meatloaf, and also inside pounded and rolled chicken breasts.

ButtBurner 05-09-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 2475220)
That's good to hear. I was curious about the Mozz,...It's so mild I never though of it as a flavor cheese, just more of a texture and melting cheese, like when it's used on on pizza.

Does the hi-temp Mozz get stringy? or does it just get soft like the cheddar? And which types of sausage are you using it in?

I'm thinking of getting some blue also, most likely to mix into hamburger patties or in meatloaf, and also inside pounded and rolled chicken breasts.

I use it mostly in venison summer sausage, and hunters type sausage. I have put it in kielbasa too.

the mozz doesnt really get stringy. Its hard to tell really. The pieces are real small, about 1/8"-3/16" square as a estimate

WineMaster 05-09-2013 06:48 AM

My local butcher carries Blue, Pepperjack, Swiss and Cheddar. I have used them all. The Blue in Smoked Chicken Meatballs. The Swiss in Mushroom and Swiss Wild rice brats. and the Pepperjack and Cheddar in Summer and Snack sticks. All work and taste great. I use a number of liquids with ice so Iced Pork broth will work great. Its only used for moisture. I blend my spice and cure into the liquid to help evenly distribute the spice too. Wierdest one was I boiled down a 2 liter bottle of A&W Rootbeer by 1/2 then added it to a small batch of Brats. Kids loved it.
Have Fun !

thirdeye 05-09-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineMaster (Post 2475230)
My local butcher carries Blue, Pepperjack, Swiss and Cheddar. I have used them all. The Blue in Smoked Chicken Meatballs. The Swiss in Mushroom and Swiss Wild rice brats. and the Pepperjack and Cheddar in Summer and Snack sticks. All work and taste great. I use a number of liquids with ice so Iced Pork broth will work great. Its only used for moisture. I blend my spice and cure into the liquid to help evenly distribute the spice too. Wierdest one was I boiled down a 2 liter bottle of A&W Rootbeer by 1/2 then added it to a small batch of Brats. Kids loved it.
Have Fun !

Good information, I like the chicken meatball idea. In addition to blending spices into the liquid, by friend always puree's the garlic and puts that in ahead of time....

Cherrywood 05-09-2013 07:57 AM

I use quite a bit of different cheeses with summer sausage, althought not the brand you mentioned. I've found that the sausage holds better in the freezer without actual garlic in the mix. I mince garlic and simmer it in water, then strain and add the garlic water to my sausage. IMO garlic gets bitter when frozen for extented periods.

oifmarine2003 05-09-2013 08:05 AM

I have used both cheddar and pepper jack and both are really good. I usually stay all pork for the sausage. I only mix beef/pork or deer/pork when making summer sausage or snack sticks. For brats and sausage, I keep it all pork.
Just remember if you are using the grinder you used to grind up the meat to also stuff the sausage, take out the cutter prior to stuffing. If not, the cheese will not be visible after cooking (I made that mistake once by not paying attention).

ButtBurner 05-09-2013 08:16 AM

I use a 5 lb vertical stuffer for stuffing

its way easier than using the grinder, one of the best tools I have ever bought for sausagemaking

oifmarine2003 05-09-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2475303)
I use a 5 lb vertical stuffer for stuffing

its way easier than using the grinder, one of the best tools I have ever bought for sausagemaking

I NOW use an old school cast iron sausage stuffer and it works so much better than the grinder. My parents have one of the water powered stuffers and those are bad a**.

NorthernMN 05-09-2013 09:00 AM

We use chedder and pepper jack in ring sausage and brats. The pepper jack makes a mean jalepeno cheese brat. I use 1-1.5 pounds of cheese to 10 lbs of meat.

thirdeye 05-09-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrywood (Post 2475281)
I use quite a bit of different cheeses with summer sausage, althought not the brand you mentioned. I've found that the sausage holds better in the freezer without actual garlic in the mix. I mince garlic and simmer it in water, then strain and add the garlic water to my sausage. IMO garlic gets bitter when frozen for extented periods.

I will have to try that method as well, but what I don't give away doesent last more than a few months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 (Post 2475290)
I have used both cheddar and pepper jack and both are really good. I usually stay all pork for the sausage. I only mix beef/pork or deer/pork when making summer sausage or snack sticks. For brats and sausage, I keep it all pork.
Just remember if you are using the grinder you used to grind up the meat to also stuff the sausage, take out the cutter prior to stuffing. If not, the cheese will not be visible after cooking (I made that mistake once by not paying attention).

The sausage in the photo above is 70:30 pork:beef, it's a basic German sausage.... salt, pepper, garlic, but does have some TQ added for color. The Hot Link Recipe also calls for 70:30 ratio, but like you, most of my sausages are all pork.

I do have a dedicated 5# vertical stuffer with a spare barrel so one person can be reloading while the other one is stuffing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMN (Post 2475357)
We use chedder and pepper jack in ring sausage and brats. The pepper jack makes a mean jalepeno cheese brat. I use 1-1.5 pounds of cheese to 10 lbs of meat.

Thanks for the cheese to meat amount. My buddy and his family have only used the hi-temp cheese for a couple of years and added it by the handful until things looked good. I'm looking forward to a Chile Cheese Wurst, we have several kinds of roasted chiles in the freezer.