How do you guys answer this question?

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I would bet that around 8 out of 10 people that find out I cook a lot on my smokers always ask the same question and it usually goes something like this... "If I just want to smoke some ribs or something every once in a while, what kind of smoker would you suggest I get?"

I always start with their price range(which is almost always way too low for what they want), and then move onto how much work they want to put into each cook. I then explain the difference between charcoal, pellets, gas, etc. Usually somewhere in the middle of the second hour of my explanation, I see their eyes glaze over, and by the third or fourth hour, they are openly wishing they hadn't asked and some have even started snoring at this point. Kidding aside, what recommendation do you guys usually give to questions like this?

Depends on how well I know the people.
I tell 'em my rig was $4500 7 years ago and my lanai smokers are $299 or so.
We then can talk grills and if they already have a gasser or charcoal grill we discuss. If they are serious I often offer them a "class" on my WSM. Heck, I get to talk cookin' and eat! Works for me.

I always ask for budget first and how often they think every once in a while is. And then if they want to do charcoal or propane.

Most of the time I direct them to a weber kettle, if they plan to smoke something a couple times a month I direct them to a wsm. If they dont want to spend $100 i direct them on how to make a mini wsm out of a smokey joe.

If they want something super fancy, I direct them to this website so they can ask the more experienced people

an offset barrel from one of the national stores or 22" weber kettle

they will smoke ribs n such as well as double as a grill

I ask them what their standard is for good BBQ ribs. From there, I can usually determine where to point them.

On Edit: Most of them are quite disappointed in my cookers (Weber Kettle, UDS, old gas grill) and I think they are hoping I will answer with something shiny. I really do like my 22" kettle for most cooks.

I would suggest WSM, but like others say, usually that's above the price range they're talking. "But Home Depot has the Brinkman for $100 . . . "

People know better than to ask me questions like that now. I drive a V8 pickup for my 10 mile commute. But I hauled a Christmas tree on Saturday! :twisted:

I tell em go get a Weber Kettle, tell them I can show you how to set it up to smoke and you can do all that for under 150.00, I also explain to them that you can produce killer Q from that unit, if you want to expand the sky is the limit!.... Smoke on Brothers and Sisters:thumb:

In my line of work, I'm used to seeing people's eyes glaze over when they ask what I do, so ... generally, I'll change the subject. Usually they don't really want to know anyway. Sometimes they actually do and I will give them some details. Usually it's best to show them.

I at least bring up ceramic choices for their versatility... but for most folks they are a big bite out of the wallet for a first smoker. Then I bring up a UDS, however in the 7 or 8 years I have cooked on mine... I don't think anyone has taken measurements and built their own.... and I usually offer to loan them one to try out.

Then I steer them to a WSM.

I tell them to let me make them a mini UDS or go to Lowes and buy a CG acorn. As a result, I have made a lot of mini UDS cookers for friends and they have all been happy with the results.

I tell them how much I love my UDS and then tell them to buy a WSM. Some people have more money than ambition or smarts.

I basically built a UDS for my cousin. He likes it and his wife loves the food that comes out of it. I think I use it more than he does when I borrow it for competitions though.

Even though we think nothing of the "work" that goes into a great BBQ, it has been my experience that others don't get off on it or are just too darn lazy.

Back