The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How to cook lots of Baked Beans (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59061)

jbrink01 03-28-2009 09:28 AM

#10 cans of Bush's, 1/2 drained. Add bbq sauce, diced smoked brisket ends, minced onion, brown sugar, diced green chilis, and dutch apple pie filling. Uncovered in steam pans in smoker till thick. Cover and keep in cool spot on pit.

ASUBBQ 03-28-2009 05:24 PM

2 gals will comfortably feed 60

barbefunkoramaque 03-28-2009 10:08 PM

Yeah and check those cans of bean to make sure you don't get lids that are bent

LOL... Hold it...I have been writing scores of pages on this forum and hoped people would fall asleep before I pissed them off.... You mean you can just do that like right off the bat? LOL These guys go right for the throat... I love this chit. LOL

barbefunkoramaque 03-28-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 887757)
One thing I can do is cook, there is no question about that. Actually, probably better than you!!!!! Work smarter not harder. I know you make all of your sauces and rubs for competition too.

and with that I heraby give up being an ash hole... I am done... If I had of known I coulda just gone out and said it...

I am done! Done I say.

You win... your better... I am done stirring it up. Done.

BBQ Bandit 03-29-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 888787)
and with that I heraby give up being an ash hole... I am done... If I had of known I coulda just gone out and said it...

I am done! Done I say.

You win... your better... I am done stirring it up. Done.

Donny!!!! Tell me it ant so!!!!!! (Shane.... come back, Shane mod):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

barbefunkoramaque 03-29-2009 10:35 AM

Look, guys lets all get along... there's more than one way to do something... and this forum is about learning and sharing. And loving one another and respecting their artistic expression of this thing we call BBQ.

It doesn't matter where your from or how you cook it, there is not WRONG way to do BBQ. From the thick, Juicy, tender, peppery crusty barked briskets of West Texas, to the Brown Sugary Glazed razor thin and stretchy shavings of the Maine Coast, to the simmered and foiled ribs of the low country, to the sloppy sauce covered, injection infused briskets of the Kansian land-- Its all good! There is not bad BBQ and there is no wrong way to boil, grill, smoke, soak in liquid smoke, crockpot, grind in a food processor or Dutch kettle it. There are no losers here or at the competitions...

Can't we all just get along? Shhesh!

Chuckwagonbbqco 03-29-2009 01:29 PM

Cost is an important thing. Quality is also important. Canned beans are expensive compared to cooking dry beans if you just price the ingredients. Labor is involved to cook the beans. Figure your cost of product plus cost of labor and compare costs.

Leftover beans are also an issue. Beans have serious cooling and reheating problems. Beans are mentioned at ever Food Safety class as an example of food that can go bad due to cooling or reheating too slow, and remaining at critical temperatures for too long.

If you have a commissary, and a way to heat and cool quickly, then home made beans are a good option. I have found that the beans that we make are much less cost than canned beans, and much higher in quality. We pride ourselves on our fine BBQ and the first time that customers walked away talking about how "awesome" the beans were---It kind of upset me. Most people today are used to getting the same ol' canned beans everywhere they go, so home made beans impress them.

Bean Arithmetic:

One pound of beans equals 2 cups of beans
or 3 pounds or 6 cups of beans will make approx 50 four ounce servings
so for 100 servings use 6 pounds or 12 cups of beans.

I am a BBQ Caterer but I am also a Chuck Wagon Cook and a Dutch Oven Cook so I have been cooking all types of beans for many years. My own belief is that the word "can" and the word "beans" do not belong in the same sentence, but that is only my own humble opinion. Check your costs--include in your cost the fact that you may be throwing out beans due to lack of improper cooling or reheating facilities, or storage facilities. Canned beans are an option. Canned beans are easy to store and are not labor intensive.

I refuse to argue with any caterer that uses canned beans---they may have reasons why they use them. I will simply steal their customers.

Sledneck 03-29-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfbeagle (Post 887780)
What a deal, my second post and I stir up a fight.:eek:

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.

Big ole stockpot. Kohls has a good deal on a 20 qt stainless pot

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitc...l+Stockpot.jsp

jestridge 03-29-2009 05:20 PM

I always use can beans use to use Bush but now I buy cheap store brand pork /beans doctor them up throw hickory smoke to them come out wonderful the secret is apple sauce it make beans rock it also store brand apple sauce. We not doing rocket science here.

big brother smoke 03-29-2009 06:23 PM

I use canned beans for catering. My rig does not allow me to make beans from scratch, I barely have enough room for meat. As said above, your liabiltiy and labor lessens with the can stuff, doctoring is a must and a signature ingrediant will seperate your beans from others. YMMV:biggrin:

JD McGee 04-01-2009 07:26 PM

Dayum...I'm sorry I missed out on all the fun.:lol::lol::lol: Here's a killer bean recipe for you...getting back on subject...:twisted:

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_comm...icon_smile.gif This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

fevoice 04-06-2009 10:24 AM

CAUTION! - I've tried the original Apple Baked Beans recipe! 1 can of apple pie filling was way too much for me! All I could taste were the apples. Cut the recipe to 1/2 can of apples and add more if that's your taste.

CrazyChef 04-07-2009 11:18 AM

When I had my BBQ joint I didn't have time to make beans from scratch. So I would buy #10 cans of Winn-Dixie original beans, then drain them. Dump into a large bowl, add my own BBQ sauce, pulled pork, onion powder, granulated garlic, a little chili powder. Mix gently so as not to turn to mush. Always got great reviews.

Oh, and I also used (please don't shoot me :icon_shy) a little liquid smoke.:eek:

Seriously, people really liked 'em!

oceanpigassassins 04-07-2009 09:50 PM

Can't we all just get along and bake some beans (out of a can of course)

Desert Dweller 05-04-2009 01:15 PM

It was this or the boxing match...