The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   24 Hour Burnt Ends Chili (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148665)

Just BS 11-29-2012 03:32 PM

24 Hour Burnt Ends Chili

10 Attachment(s)
I broke off my engagement with my fiance on Thanksgiving and had no idea what to do with myself, so I headed to the local Smart & Final on Friday to see what they had. A 13 pound Choice Brisket seemed like as good a starting place as any.

Trimmed it up a bit and rubbed it down with granulated garlic, onion powder, black pepper and salt. Put it on the UDS at 8p, dialed in the temp to 225, and let her go. Set the alarms on my Maveric ET-732 for 200 to 250. It woke me up at 11:30p as crept up to 250 so I got up and fiddled with the intakes. Woke me up again around 2a as it dropped below 200. Some more tweeking and it ran fine the rest of the night as I woke up once around 4a and it was in the 230's and when I awoke at 7a and it was 220.

I didn't even look at it until 10 but the flat was still tuff to probe and only around 190 IT. Checked again at 12:30 and it was still tuff and only in the high 190's. Let it go until 2:30p and it was as soft as butter with an IT of 207 so I pulled it and let it rest.

Made up some homemade Mac n Cheese (can of chedder cheese soup w/milk, a cup of graded chedder cheese and some parmesian) and doctored up a can of baked beans (mustard, bbq sauce & brown sugar). Sliced up the flat and put it on a plate. Not too bad for my first ever brisket, if I do say so myself.

Cubed up the point, seasoned with some season salt, chili powder and pepper and put it back on the smoker. Smoked for a couple more hours, turned over, re seasoned for a few more hours and one more time for good measure, removing from the smoker at 8p., hence the term 24 Hour Burnt Ends.

Anyways, I was stuffed so I wrapped up the burnt ends for the next day, which was Sunday. I didn't really feel like shopping so I went with what I had on hand. Sauteed the onions, garlic and peppers. Drained the canned goods and added to the pan. Beer. Added some chili powder and cumin. Stirred in the burnt ends. I covered the skillit with foil and put it on the smoker, which wasn't necessary, but hey this is BBQ!

Then I kicked back and enjoyed a day of football. :razz:

CPMatthew 11-29-2012 03:50 PM

I just made some pulled pork chili last night and was thinking what my next chili project would be. Now I know. Looks good.

Twelvegaugepump 11-29-2012 04:07 PM

BS, sorry about the relationship issues. Food looks good though.

gtr 11-29-2012 06:24 PM

I've been making chili with pulled pork, brisket and chipotle peppers in adobo the past couple years - great stuff!

Nice work there - sorry about the woman troubles, but better sooner than later.

davefan360 11-29-2012 06:35 PM

sorry about you and the old lady, I went thro the same thing this past summer. and the brisket looks very tasty.

Garrett 11-29-2012 07:53 PM

Mighty fine looking grub. That UDS prolly understands you better anyway. Spend time with it now. Looks like it rewards you pretty good.

code3rrt 11-29-2012 10:26 PM

That looks like some good eats right there, great work. With the lady issues, I guess that brings a whole new meaning to comfort food!

Meat Meets Meat 11-29-2012 10:57 PM

That's what I'd call a new beginning! Get used to looking at the pron!

Meat Meets Meat 11-29-2012 10:58 PM

BTW, sorry to hear about the lady troubles.

daninnewjersey 11-30-2012 09:21 AM

I did the same thing years ago....calling off a wedding. When you know it's wrong, you know. Way better to end it now than not do anything about it and regret it.

Food looks killer.....

chriscw81 11-30-2012 10:04 AM

Looks awesome!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

J-Rod 11-30-2012 10:27 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your lady friend, but it looks like you made good use of your new "you time". Food looks great!

Westexbbq 11-30-2012 10:30 AM

Great story, great pron, nice bounce-back.

thaifighter06 11-30-2012 02:06 PM

So great dude. Nothing says comfort like some good food. Excellent.

Just BS 11-30-2012 03:44 PM

Thanks for all of the reply's and the support.

I really only mentioned it because last weekend when it first happened I need someone to vent it to and I posted a thread in the Wood Pile.

I took their advice and cooked something up. I also did a ton a yard work, including taking out some frustration on a bouganvilla in my back yard that had gotten out of hand. Been working a ton since and am feeling better. This weekend might suck, but I think I'll que up some spare ribs, so that should keep me occupied for a bit.

Thanks again Brethren!