The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First Brisket, just a few questions (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85461)

HawkeyeQue 05-27-2010 11:39 AM

First Brisket, just a few questions

I've done pretty much everything else on my UDS just haven't given brisket a go yet, that is changing on Sat. I think I got the cooking part of it figured out, my questions are regarding marinating/injecting the meat on Fri night. what do you use for brisket?. Also, I've seen fat up and fat down debated quite a bit, which way should I go? I plan on using Plowboys Bovine Bold for the rub.

cmcadams 05-27-2010 11:52 AM

For your first, I wouldn't inject it, and, on a UDS, I'd put it fat side down, to offer some protection from the fire below it.

landarc 05-27-2010 12:41 PM

I am a fat side down cooker too. I have not injected and like the results I get. If I was gonna inject, I would either just do beef broth or a pre-made like Butcher's or Kosmo's for a first attempt.

MilitantSquatter 05-27-2010 08:26 PM

I agree on the skipping on the injection, especially if this is your first brisket.

Learn what you've got and then you'll determine how to build on it (if it's even necessary).

I've not cooked on a UDS but fat down seems more logical.

sdbbq1234 05-27-2010 08:37 PM

I don't have a UDS, but the fat side down idea seems like there will be a LOT of smoke going that way.

I need to build me one and try it.

(Still looking for a drum in the Nothern VA area :wink:)

wallace

Chef Jim 05-27-2010 08:40 PM

I agree with all the above. But, In a judging class I attended The instructor told me that he puts it in a foil pan with a little beer. When it gets to 165 he covers it and just leaves it that way until he reaches the temp he wants. I like 195-200. Let it rest for about 45 and slice.

I have to say I wondered until I tried it. It was my best so far.

Rookie'48 05-27-2010 08:42 PM

Yep, fat cap down on the UDS. You might try injecting unsalted beef broth, apple juice or Kosmo's - all will work well if used in moderation. Good luck on your first briskie!

Boshizzle 05-27-2010 08:45 PM

You can't go wrong with the Bovine Bold. It's great stuff. Here are my tips.

Rub it down with black pepper and Yardbird Bovine Bold and a little red pepper, if you like it with a little kick. If you want to inject, use some low sodium beef stock (not broth) with a little Bovine Bold and fine grind black pepper in it and maybe a little granulated garlic and a smaller amount of onion powder, but it's not necessary.

The Beef Association says that garlic, onion, and mushroom goes great with beef. They also recommend potato skins to eliminate the "warmed over flavor" (WOF) when you reheat it.

Cook it fat side down at 300 degrees until it reaches 160 degrees internal temperature. Then, put it in a foil pan and seal the top with foil. Cook it until it reaches 200 degrees. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and turn it off. Put the brisket, still in the sealed foil pan, in the oven and let it sit for 2 hours.

Remove it from the oven, pour the au jus into a fat separator and separate the fat from the stock. Put the au jus in a serving container that is big enough to hold the sliced brisket. You can add a little of your favorite sauce too, if you want.

If you want a dryer bark, remove it from the pan reserving the drippings and separating the fat as described above, put the brisket back in the smoker without the pan and let the outside crust up a little for about 30 to 60 minutes.

Slice the brisket against the grain and put it in the au jus. If you want to make burnt ends, cut the point into 1" square chunks and put them in a foil pan half way covered with your favorite beef BBQ sauce (Head Country is a good choice; Cattleman's is another good choice for beef.). Put them on the smoker for about another hour or so.

Serve and enjoy.

sdbbq1234 05-27-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Jim (Post 1294525)
I agree with all the above. But, In a judging class I attended The instructor told me that he puts it in a foil pan with a little beer. When it gets to 165 he covers it and just leaves it that way until he reaches the temp he wants. I like 195-200. Let it rest for about 45 and slice.

I have to say I wondered until I tried it. It was my best so far.

Do you get a crusty outside and a good smoke ring? I ask as I like a more smokey flavor.

Thanks.

wallace

cbagby64 05-27-2010 08:52 PM

fat down, we have gone back and forth on injecting or not but for you first try go without. When we hit 195 we foil with Head Country marinade. Good luck!

Oldschoolbbq 05-27-2010 09:45 PM

Hawkeye......................................;}-

Beef is my favorite meat,and I don't like messing it up,especially Brisket,:clap2:
I was raised in Te ple,Tx., on Old School style; not that there are a few blends of rub that accents the cow, but IMHO, a simple CBP-coarse salt and maybe some Garlic. That's the best season for Beef of any kind. I get whole pepper corns from Dollar General and put them in a zipper-lock and pound them with a cast iron pan.Slow smoke with real wood(my choice) for 1.5hrs. per pound and fat up. No looking;no clouds of smoke;no injection. Simple is better...
Have fun and,

Professor 05-27-2010 10:01 PM

I have only done 2 briskets. I think the fat down makes good sense. I have rubbed with Montreal and Worcestershire (in fridge overnight). I smoked it ~225-250 until ~165 then wrapped in foil. The temperature plateaus between 160-170 for a while - be patience. Total time in pit between 10-12 hours.

Good luck!

Chef Jim 05-27-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyhowsit (Post 1294542)
Do you get a crusty outside and a good smoke ring? I ask as I like a more smokey flavor.

Thanks.

wallace

Yes, I had nice bark and lots of smokey flavor. Just saw another post that recommends a similar method. Looks good to me. This is what I got. Not a great pron.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/a...ket-Sliced.jpg